Thursday, November 28, 2013

4789. SOMEBODY, UNFASTENED

SOMEBODY, UNFASTENED
Two shoes of the melody already gone,
we are sodden and bereft. There are beer
voices and the microphone. The high lights
are on, way above, beaming like arcs or stars
amidst a faceful of sunlight. Even if I shrug once
more, no one will notice anyway. Now the bastards
are calling for me to take the stage  -  I have nothing
to say, or nothing prepared anyway. But, no matter,
words come to me like pennies in a perverted bank.
I'll take it easy, and just let them laugh. It's fun like that.
-
'Cars never start, once they begin running.
Rain never ceases to be, once it's stopped.
Puddles come together to make an ocean,
of swirls, of limits, of eddies, of swans.'
That's what I told them, ad-libbing, and
they're all cheering still, 20 minutes on.
-
Play dominos atop the keno tale, you idiot.
Take your drinks in the dining car. Put your
luggage, oh please do, on the pheasant shelf
at the end of the left-hand hallway.

No comments: