Sunday, November 3, 2013

4723. STEPPING STONE

STEPPING STONE
'Into my lair' said the spider to the fly, but no one
heard the laughter in the courtyard. Those are the
stories we float gamely and grim  -  the name of the
woman who caught me up in the yard was Maria,
that much I knew. Yet how fair is it ever to be captive
to a slew of discontents and wild complaints? 'The heat's
too cold, the cold's too hot; the water's dry and the humid's
not, the air is foul, I get their exhaust, the fan is broken, the
glass is cracked. Who's fault is that?' I listened, believing I
would try; and it wasn't a first attempt. Never should there
be a shallow to this giant lake. I retired long ago, from your
arched observance of complaint. This stepping stone, I am
so afraid, leads only to dank and fouling water.

No comments: