Friday, November 29, 2013

4794. 2. FRENCH FOR SPECTACLE

2. FRENCH FOR SPECTACLE
Into this I came  -  and I do not know what
to call it. A dying Life? Or a living Death?
Whichever I may choose, I err; for the
reflection of the other than shines brighter
than does the choice itself. Nescio (I know
not). From God comes Healthfulness, and
all good things proceed. So I take heed.
-
My infancy and youth is dead long ago, yet
I still live it  -  thinking and memory are my 
salve as here I sometimes stand, looking
forward while thinking back; thinking behind
while looking ahead. For you who live forever
and in whom nothing dies, I ask, both then and
now was I ever anything at all? Those things of
which I have no memory now  -  suckling, crying,
being born itself  -  did they not then exist? Or
did they nonetheless occur and I but do not 
remember? So too with all else, and with the
infinitude of both you and all Creation? Were
they ever, and are they now?
-
Outside, the willow cast its flimsy shell about,
the wind ruffles it, the limbs creak and bend  -  
that Spirit, is it then the Spirit as well of all things?
Is is all, then, You, I ask? So I may take heed.
-
Let the kettle boil, set the settings for a guest;
as we do not know, so we do not know, ever,
who it is that may be coming. Be ready, then
be ready.

No comments: