Monday, November 25, 2013

4781. CRUD

CRUD
High post and red bandanna, Malcolm West
and Russel Deaver. As if we were cadets, on
some outpost in a crummy mission, we sat there
drinking military coffee. Tasting like crud. Black.
'Used to be we fought for oil, now they just give
it to us to drink.' The guy saying that said, as well,
that his own father had died in 1974, killed in a
gas-line in a Chicago-suburb. '600 people waiting
for gas, there cars all lined up, steaming mad; they
all had murder in their eyes. My daddy's mistake
was his big mouth. Always was that way.' I
said I'd never experienced any of that  -  living
far out in the country back then, most people 
had their own bulk tanks, maybe 100 gallons 
each or more : farmers and tractors and things.
'Everything took time, yeah, but even running
out took time as well  -  so it was cool.' My
words of wisdom went off well. Then the
mortar hit; right nearby  -  end of that scene.
Malcolm and Russel. No more. Me, I
survived. Bent and twisted, but
I survived.

No comments: