Saturday, November 16, 2013

4755. NOODLE SONATA

NOODLE SONATA
I don't feel embarrassed for having responded to this,
so listen up Tinkerbell : here are my shoes, and my
cuff links, and my shirt. This here is my metal comb.
I placed them on the mantle, where you keep that photo
of your Uncle Nestor and those pieces of coal. 
-
The story came down through your ages (in silence,
 in silence, in dread) how they moved the village, and the
two churches as well, each time to coal-seam was moved. 
Each time they exhausted the one seam (the town was
built atop it, as the miners lived and worked there), and
then  -  just as well  -  moved when the new seam was 
opened. The miner's live was an exhausting one.
-
The only thing they never moved, you told me, (in silence,
in silence, in dread; when the lights were out, after we'd
made love) was the cemetery. each time, time after time,
the dead, left behind, a few miles back.

No comments: