Thursday, November 28, 2013

4788. CAPTIVE LEVANTINES

CAPTIVE LEVANTINES
We should really be ashamed. We are forgiven.
All things are atoned. Our wiles and wits will not
again betray us. In bowing down before that tree,
oh members of another race, you do dishonor
Gilgamesh, and me. I have two selves. I do not
ever really know this except when I am dreaming :
things are happening to me, but it's not 'me', for
the 'me' is really 'I', who is dreaming, or watching, 
or witnessing me watching. And then I awake, aware
of what occurred but not there; here instead. Or so
I think. This world is worse than a snow-globe that
has suddenly lost its bottoom  -  that tiny scene is still
intact, but everything else is leaking out, and empty,
and snow, like pigeons, just flutters to the floor.
In plain English, I understand nothing. Enkidu
and Gilgamesh, discoursing. That Kingship of
Man, building those walls and cities in each
place it can. Oh captive Levantines,
have you really no way out?

No comments: