Friday, May 18, 2012

3656. OH CELESTE

OH CELESTE
The Italian organ grinder went by with a
monkey on a string; the monkey had the
face of five-million dollars, and was grimacing.
I love that stuff, like you can see the words
in the pose on the face  -  if only that monkey
could talk, what abstract forms his words would
take :  'I undertake, I am caught in the obscure, 
the wide expanse, this is a berserk land, I
bring nothing back, I take all I can.'
-
Someone put five dollars on the table, and left -
a five dollar bill, that is, not five singles. Well,
it makes a difference. Pretend, for instance, this
was a murder mystery  -  that sort of information
would be somehow important. As if a detective
was to ask, after the organ grinder's murder,
'what color neckerchief, do you recall, was
around the monkey's neck?' (Understand too,
the monkey itself was now gone, having
mysteriously disappeared).

No comments: