Friday, May 4, 2012

3630. DRUDGERY SPEAKS

DRUDGERY SPEAKS
You proclaim the water, I proclaim the dust.
The idling mockingbird, perhaps, proclaims
for everyone else  -  all that toil of stolen songs
and repeated motifs. The lag and lunge the
songbird speaks. I wish that tongue were mine.
-
I took the daughter of Philip Marlowe to the
Philadelphia Hotel. We dined in splendor, and
then, well, sometimes you know the rest, other
times you don't. To our surprise, we met Danny
Bonaducci walking along the street  -  in a 
work-out suit on his way to the gym. He
looked like shit to me.
-
The fellow in the hotel lobby asked if I knew
him well  -  I answered 'Never before in my life,
thank God; TV stars are not my thing.' He
nodded and smiled and said 'Yeah.'
-
The girl I was with wore a new Swatch watch.
It sang the time on the hour and ran backwards
one lap. My whole life sometimes feels like that.

No comments: