Thursday, May 3, 2012

3627. SURRENDER THESE ARMS

SURRENDER THESE ARMS
I fell through the timing, I fell through the
Earth : Grand Canyon respite for nothing.
I know that I could, if I would, find you.
-
The long, black car glistened  -  a thirty year
old Cadillac of some uncertain persuasion.
It beckoned in the darkness, the light glinting
and stretching off the varied sheet metal,
making attractive silhouettes and reflections
about. I wondered about provenance, and
whether they do that with cars.
-
At night, at best, when streets shine back, when
water reflects, when silvers turn white and the
moon loses yellow. We are all strangers on that
midnight shore we inhabit. So many intrepid
things, over and again, one after the next.
The playful cop, even he whistled and sang
as he twirled his club 'neath someone's light.
-
'Outspoken buttocks in pink beads invite
the necessary cloudy clinch of bandy eyes.'
I remembered that Hart Crane quote as I
saw what passed me by. She may have
had a number, but it wasn't to be mine. I
fell through the Earth, as I fell through the time.

No comments: