Monday, May 21, 2012

3658. A BRIEF HISTORY OF LAMENTATION

A BRIEF HISTORY
OF LAMENTATION
She had just landed, from Paris. I met her at the curb on
Barclay. Stretched out, hands a'kimbo, I tried reaching
the yellow cab for us both. Coming forth from the hut
of a descended waiting lounge, like an anteroom of
Hell itself, we found normal reason to sneer. And now,
an hour later, here  -  we were once again side by side.
-
Can travel be magic, have tactics of stealth and guile?
I did not know, and neither did she. My French was as
passable as anything else, and I realized what she'd just
said was, basically, 'you Americans have all so little
and leathery faces.' I think anyway. She then asked
if I knew of a comedy club for the evening. I shrugged,
'No, I do not, but isn't this one and won't it do?'
-
I had just then barely made her laugh : that famed French
snicker, the hustle of the shoulders, those pursed, happy
lips. What I wanted to say was 'Did your mother perhaps
ever meet Sartre, or Camus? Have you yourself met
Roncard or DeBouillard?' I didn't, because I knew 
I'd be stupid to try.
-
Turned out, her boyfriend's name was 'Fred Henry' and
he 'sat for dogs at NYU.' No, I wasn't sure what that meant-
yet, to remain comfortable I assumed it to mean he was
studying veterinary science at New York University.
What the heck, it worked for my frazzled heart.

No comments: