Monday, May 14, 2012

3646. BECKWITH

BECKWITH
(the killing of medgar evers)
Something like that was the name  -
Byron De la Beckwith it may even
have been. I just cannot remember  -
1957, or maybe '63, I want to say.
Negroes being kept out of school,
lunch-counter sit-downs in lame,
crummy Woolworths, and news 
commentators all pretending 
they understood.
-
Then guns come out, or a
wild, mangy dog  -  shot dead
on the dirt road in some 'Niggertown'
bungalow settlement like in 'To Kill
a Mockingbird'. I don't know; I'm a
kid again, and things are all mixed up.
-
How crazy-well do we remember things
anyway? The art and the artifice of chimera
and change. I was not what I am not now.
Well, anyway, I think that's how it goes.
-
How are we sanctified? Loud garbage
trucks, and dumpsters hitting the pavement
and walls; those eerie, early-morning
sounds of service and servitude? The
little, fat man, sitting down to coffee, but
first taking his pills with water? How then,
how, are we sanctified? Tell me.
-
After the battle, when the still-warm guns -
cooling - are being put away, the
dead still litter the streets.

No comments: