Wednesday, May 23, 2012

3663. MY MOST GENERAL COLLAR

MY MOST GENERAL COLLAR
All of this was yours, once upon a time:
the bailiwick tree on the old ozone plain,
the stevedore hats in a row. Fifteen loose
ferries were plying the harbor  -  all East River
playthings at work. The old man with the Dutch
clay pipe, he kept looking out, to the distance
for something. Some far geography to be rolling
in. I asked him to tell me more. He shrugged.
-
I was gone for two months to Carlisle by
wagon. We plodded the dirt-trails and the
rocky hillside pass. Pennsylvania beckoned,
but it took some doing : over the pass, around
the besieging rock of the Gap. Each time we
made camp, I wrote notebook entries for you.
-
You see, I was never alone, and the
smokes of the gangly campmen, the fires
on homemade hearths, the stupid soups
of rabbit and squirrel, they all kept me
thinking of home  -  that harbor again,
those old Dutchman planks, and you.

No comments: