Wednesday, May 9, 2012

3640. I'VE HAD MY WAY WITH THE ROAD

I'VE HAD MY WAY 
WITH THE ROAD
I've written through poverty and carted my
cards to theater. I've had my way with the 
road. I've dined with Kit Carson and Jack
Tworkov too  -  no dissembling there  -  
not just anyone would do.  I was once
as important as Time Magazine - now
I'm as useless and wasted away.
There are things I have to do, and
they get done : sometimes slowly and
sure, but never poorly. And more - I
used to listen and watch, all the people
growing old and infirm, feeble and dire.
They keep on talking,. All these things
around hem transpire while they just
go on and on  -  until, one at a time,
(I'll bet) they expire. Life gets like that
for everyone. Hagen berry, listless juice,
swagger jelly and all the rest. I've had 
my way with the road  -  'been there, 
done that'  -  as the billboards used to
say, before they were neon-garish lit,
before they were bold with their stuff,
when Burma-Shave signs kept the
roadsides humming and most
mountains had not yet been cut.

No comments: