Monday, March 26, 2012

3527. TO ONLY OBLIGE

TO ONLY OBLIGE
I am once more crossing Muranto Bridge;
the awkward Silesian Fields beneath me
resemble something from a picture book of
my youth. 'Around the World in 1,000 Pictures'
was the title, so chosen - I'd now suppose -
because of the picture count and not much more.
That was so very long ago, and now I am a walking
veteran of all this life has brought. Not as much
the good and only what it ought, but, still, no mind.
-
Beneath me, I see yellow things  -  floating by, they
resemble what we'd call 'Ugli Fruit', which is a real thing.
Debris or excess, a farmer's field plight's letting loose.
They are not, for sure, cannon balls or grapefruits, nor
are they pumpkins or skulls. In a land like this,
I suppose, who would ever really know. Any
of these things in a moment could show.
-
A languorous cow here decorates the landscape  - 
to my right, a farmhouse sits low and white, on a
decorous landscape of green. A water pump, I see,
sticks out of the ground, red. Its vertical presence
a stigmata on the field, a distant dot of red, the
same color as blood on a savior's hand. The death
knell of a local bell resounds obliquely from the
church tower on the village square. I amble on,
only to think 'why am I here?'
-
A sainted character - not me - would walk these
grounds with a walking stick perhaps topped by a
cross - a top carved and colored with faith. By
contrast, I wear a sackcloth of modern day
envy and doubt, a philosophical hatred of sorts,
of all things that no longer make any
sense on this Earth at all.

No comments: