Monday, March 19, 2012

3513. ELMIRA

ELMIRA
Smoked meat contains carcinogens, and I want
to be in another place : shrubbery, something hidden,
a shortfall amidst hundreds of options. The soldiers
seem to stand erect, though really for no reason
at all  -  as if cartoon characters, elected to grace
a cover of some tourist magazine, are forced into
a graceless and immobile pose. And now, I see
that you have brought a general through the ranks:
your cheery, red thighs always did make me happy,
and - gosh - what else is a straight shooter for?
I've lived a long and solid life. Passing inchoate,
rimming the high sides, standing for a while just
to meditate at Sullivan's Monument. Yes, lots of
things in Elmira made me happy, let alone the
great joys, back in the 1970's, of that abandoned
mansion in Strathmont Park. I tore your shirt, I
kissed your broken lips, wordlessly, up against
the wall of stone, I entered you at last.

No comments: