Thursday, March 15, 2012

3507. THEY GAVE KAFKA TO THE TROOPS

THEY GAVE KAFKA 
TO THE TROOPS
'On the front lines of nothingness,
we ate corn flakes dry, beneath the
mortar rounds and flak. Those
bombed-out hulks of bunkers and
homes - things we'd already twice
destroyed  -  were still tinged and
blazing by the terror we'd inflicted:
our terror was in response to their
terror, but was a terror nonetheless,
a reverse terror twice inflicted as
response still burns. A few bodies
littered the sand field between us - 
I swear one still moved.
-
This was four months now, the
same enshrined bullshit rewarded
with the littler of shrapnel and
shell casings, the laser lines light
lofts the center-arc blaze of each
explosive we send forth  -  count the
time, to seven or eight, and listen for
the thud and then the blast. And, oh,
fear not, one or the other of them is
death, and the other destruction.
Sarge says 'leave the bastard bodies 
fallen where they fucking fell.'
-
Streams? There are none really. This
is a blasted desert oasis  -  pretty much
all that runs in rivulets here is blood. We
are rude enough to notice  -  remains and
bones, skulls or an arm. And, yeah, they're
used to be mangy, angry dogs around here,
but they're all gone. Would you wonder how?
Target marksmen at practice under a perfect moon.
-
When I get back to the states, I'm gonna' open
a restaurant, call it 'Mesopotamia Mombookay.'
It don't mean nothing, it's just fun to say  -  and I
don't care, nobody knows me, I've been trained
to kill anyway  -  so what the fuck. They can eat
my slop and like it or die. I'm living on my Uncle
Sam for the rest of my time  -  that's one, long,
happy life and they all should know it. Jesus
almighty, watch the wall! It's coming down!
-
Under this Hellfire sky, I swear to say,
there must be ten thousand stars  -  blazing,
beautiful, high light. Like fucking Heaven lives
there, right? Occasionally something moves,
a flash of light, fiery star, blazing earth-moon
celestial torch. So cool, and amazing, and on
this sand, like glass, and hot. Looking up, I
can sometimes see for a million miles and a
thousand years  -  but back or forwards I
can never say, 'cause I never know.'

No comments: