Wednesday, March 21, 2012

3518. RUNNING THROUGH THE ZOO

RUNNING THROUGH 
THE ZOO
I get to hold this inattention in my hands. I mark off
nothing but the ropes and the barriers. The ever-cute
mark of the orangutan daisy, the splendid pea-shot
of the panda. Everywhere I look, the scene is of something
else, something I'd forgotten from long-ago. The Central
Park Zoo of 1966  -  when the piss smell shot through
the animal smell and mixed its mingle with an African swell.
Lions sweating in tiny concrete cages, and the seal-fellows,
swimming in slop on the rim of steel. All those pathetic
light bulbs and the grizzled guys with the feeder carts,
throwing hunks of red meat to the tigers and leopards,
panthers and cats. I wanted to swim in the tide, back
then, of what I thought was the greater-than-big great
big world. Savannah, marsh and mountaintop; all of
it together in one easy loop. Back then Asia was
only a place where strange animals dwelt, and a
Puma was a name with a very exciting flavor.

No comments: