Monday, March 12, 2012

3501. NEGOTIATING IN LEBANON

NEGOTIATING IN LEBANON
(no more than Gilgamesh)
Everything is down to nothing and you
have hung your hat the way men of old
used to hang their hats. Both hands are
on the cluttered table. Near to the small
window, the cauldron is boiling as we look
away. I have noticed  -  much as it was in
Mesopotamia too  -  hanging low, seemingly
backwards or upside down, the March moon
fading off above the marshes.
-
I do not really know how much more of this
I can take, though I will take all I can for as
long as I can or as long as it takes. I am
nothing really but a scribe, taking these
illicit notes as swift they come to me. And
now, in this little pinewoods cabin near the
border, we are sitting in near dark working
out a deal for time and money. No odor
here, just the filthy, passing smell of
lucre, and you, insisting it's perfume.
-
Every door, I've noticed, has a variable
swing, steady, and built within its hinging.
This one, I wish, would hit you on the
ass as you are leaving. Though it is not
to be, it seems we both will sit here wishing.
-
You forget that I have lived a thousand years, with
a thousand more to come. While you, alas, cannot
now leave, nor do you have a chance of ever staying.


No comments: