Monday, March 5, 2012

3491. FIVE MOUNTAINS LATER

FIVE MOUNTAINS LATER
I was lost in the city 'midst a forest of gold;
hundreds of people passing  -  skirts on the
High Line, the gallery girl in her pleated
brown crepe, showing off somehow a
too-splendid ass for my taste. I sat
back and wondered where to go.
Tallman Mountain beckoned.
-
About ten miles away, perhaps,
off the city's rim, astride the Hudson's
banks, on the other side. Hikers had
been lost there, once or twice, as well,
someone had been killed or raped. Never
matter, that, outside my, let's say, zone
of interest. I moved on like the dross I was.
-
My whole point in being here was to see the
heights of achievement and the fame of
renown. Artists, those guys over there,
with the bent wrists and champagne glasses,
they were the new ones now with the money.
Talking of 'Art', they pointed and signified.
-
What finally broke me was the wedge;
you know 'beware the wedge' itself  -  the
littlest thing that beckons the decline, the
pebble that begins that avalanche the kills.

No comments: