Thursday, March 8, 2012

3498. BRIBE MY HASSLES AND HOLD MY HEART

BRIBE MY HASSLES
AND HOLD MY HEART
Here's where it goes : good God and
never again. The toy chest holding the
plastic cowboys is overflowing, and your
kid's the one in charge. 'Clean it up!' I
hear a latter-day voice saying. That radio
blaring, it has a tune from 1985. Whoa!
-
I'd just barely arrived when the nick-of-time
was called on me : Rialto spinning madly and
an old movie playing. Nothing like this day and age
at all, and I'd not know from where I came anyway.
I entered through the door marked 'Straw Man Digest'.
-
The stage guy with the wagon was also pushing a
cattle car along. It looked like nothing at all, except
perhaps if Ford or Chevy had made a shit-cart, a
'honey-wagon' as the farmers used to say. All that
glamor, and the lowboys still have to work like hell.
-
Here they brought in the animals and all the midgets.
Little-people, you say? What difference; they still need
lifts, and lizards, and leather and lace. Luminous things
from the leftover list, the pile of clothes in the corner.
I was frenzied and tired. I sat down and dozed off.
Bribe my hassles and hold my heart, while I sleep.

No comments: