Wednesday, March 21, 2012

3520. BUT NOW ALL THOSE OLD MEN ARE ALL GONE

BUT NOW THOSE OLD
MEN ARE ALL GONE
'I suppose I made the explosion, turning
things so around  -  a very meticulous idea
of nothing really at all, like Springtime, of 
14th Street, in 1967. Believe this, we still
walked horses along the western edge of
14th and out to 10th Ave.; whatever's 
there now bears no relation to this at all.
We did a dairy-truck-barn-wagon-rack
feeding station, 3 times a day. A long day,
handling carts and milk cans  -  Hell's Kitchen
and Chelsea and back, London Mews,
Peter McManus's, all the rest. Those
younger boys, like killers, with their
hay-ricks and horseshit, walking out
to the Hudson's edge. Weird Puerto 
Rican families and over-weight witchcraft
fortune-telling ladies, vigil lamps and candles
all together, saints be praised!  Lebanese
seers and women who spoke (she had
eyes so black at the center hope died).
-
And now, today, someone's telling me
it's the first day of Spring  -  something new
and different in this, another, time. All their
blather and nothing at all, everywhere, 
everything the same as I dwell from the 
past and make others unsettled; but I live 
in my other time, and can only look out.
-
Like Columbus Vasco de Gama Magellan
and me, set out on the wrong open sea and
now lost to the ages - but for a name I'd be
nothing at all, (and from the horses at the
edge of 14th, we kept fires in a hundred
streetside barrels but now all those
old men are gone).'

No comments: