Wednesday, November 18, 2020

13,234. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,090

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,090
(kindles of magic)
Conglomerations of dreams never
come to this. I am reverent. I sit
back, thinking about...myself? I'm
at Christine's, as I recall, some
shithole maybe Polish Restaurant
dive on First Ave, between, oh, say,
hard to remember now, 13th, 14th.
Barley soup, Pierogi, Polish ravioli,
and the rankhole Suyvesant Town
bitchiness, sitting right next door.
Sort of, anyway. Blintzes, red
cabbage, cabbage soup, rice? All
that too I really forget, but I was
eating something. Colored sodas?
Drinks? A bar right next door, for
Bourbon? A whore?
-
My life amounts right now to nothing
but the vacant past I used to live in.
I had hammers and wrenches and
tools; painted birds and stretcher
bar'd canvases. Another world of 
language back then was opened up.
Yiddish, and German-speaking
maniacs. Fedora-Jews, and Slavic
revolutionaries; most of Kiev's
debris was on the street. "My
poshlem tsarskikh prispeshnikov
na mnozhestvo smertey, sozhzhennykh
uzhe etikh mnogikh gorodov bol'novkh
i umirayushchikh..." [We will send the
royal henchmen to their many deaths,
these cities already burned down by
these many sick and dying...].
-
You think I knew what they were
saying? No. I had to ask  -  some
50 years out of date crap about
the Revolution and the Czars and 
all that crap. The fucking-craziest
part of it all was The Rolling Stones
start singing about it and everyone
goes about believing they know
all about it. What a bunch of fecking
crap! You want to know what 'fecking'
is? It's a word I learned, over at the
White Horse, from the Irish and
English people there. They'd never
just say 'fucking,' as Americans would;
to them it was always 'fecking.'
-
My gay, dead, friend Paul used to
say, about Ithaca NY, when I was
there, how much he liked it because
it was so 'Cosmopolitan'  -  way out
like that in the middle of absolute
nowhere like that. Living on 1st
street Colonia NJ sure must have
made him weird. Even queer, I
guess. It was about as cosmopolitan
as the UN  -  which is a mix, yes, but
an enforced mix, kept within confines.
When I was in Ithaca, the streets still
smoldered from the Black Power
takeovers, and none of the new girls
wore bras. I was in favor of one, and
not so much for the other. Black
Power comes and goes, but girls
are forever.
-
I can't say, like the song does, 'I
been everywhere, man...' because
I sure as hell have not. But within
my stalled constellation of time, and
the remnants of place that I dragged
along with it, I was in pretty wondrous
times, at any one time.  Over by 11th
street, 1967, the Polish guy who used
to serve me gruel now and then  -  25
cents for oatmeal and endless coffee  -
he had concentration camp tattoos
on his forearm, a string of numbers,
and his one eye, or maybe two, I
forget, was pink and always tearing.
I loved that old sonofabitch, and
would sit there for hours with him,
just watching. We got pretty close,
that old, sad, lower eastside guy,
though we hardly ever talked. He was
sad, through and through, and by him
I read the history of the world. At
6am each morning, the Con Ed
guys from the generating station
down at the river on 14th, would
come in for their breakfasts and
cigarettes and bullshit. They sit 
there talking, updating each other, 
who they'd fucked and who they'd
screwed, what their wives knew
and what they didn't. I'd sit there,
knowing that, over at my apartment
at 509 east 11th, the radical activists
of the day were underway with their
plans to blow that very substation
to smithereens in November. I never
really felt guilty, though I pitied those
poor sons of bitches with all their
Con Ed mouths and presuppositions
and crapola stories. It was all going to
be coming down, and soon. 
-
Fact of the matter? Nothing ever 
happened. My apartment got raided; 
police-taped and sealed off. 16 people
in that hovel I never heard from again.
Stupid is as stupid does. Yep. There
were one or three dead bodies too,
chopped and channeled like
Hot Rod Eddie's cute girlfriend.
No one ever found out a thing, and
I was gone with the morning breeze.
Funny about NYC...those streets
can chop you up, or they can
take you in.




No comments: