Tuesday, November 24, 2020

13,237. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,092

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,092
(me?)
I never knew if I was disorder,
or order. Meaning more towards
one than the other? Actually, I've
always been, and felt, closer to
disorder; in fact, it was my whole
life. I've never made plans of
much any sort, and any I ever
tried to make went far awry.
I'd have rather jumped at
things, by any impulse I felt, 
and squared it all up later on
if any accounting arose that
had to be done  -  something
to explain my actions, or 
defend my moves. Mostly 
how people end up in trouble
or jail, and it never makes for
easy courtroom testimony or
alibis. 'Well, your honor, I
don't know, I just went ahead
did it.' Nature too is that sort
of maelstrom, always reeling
and raving about.
-
Pretty much par for the course,
the rest of the world around me
has unwittingly taken its own,
ignorant course, leaving no
regard of my opinion of it nor
it of me  - which is just fine. I
can guarantee you, ten dollars 
to a penny that  -  if asked  -  
people would answer 'The
constellation Astra-Zeneca?'
when asked where the solar
system had originated. That's
how dumb it all is. 
-
Sickeningly dumb? Banal and
gross? Ignorance greater than
Sunday professional sports?
Beer? Leasing automobiles?
Plastic siding houses, after
years of aluminum siding the
same? Toxic applications to
lawns, so that the grass can 
grow rich and thick with
fertilizer so as to grow with
gusto and then be trimmed
and mowed nevertheless to 
wih a half-inch of the very
ground it was just encouraged
to grow out of? And then the
big-balled man of the house
sues the companies making
this stuff, claiming it all 
harmed him? No one says a
thing, they just smile and
throw another steak on the
'barbie' while staring lustily
at their 15 year old niece's
budding breasts at poolside,
they having misconstrued
barbie for Barbie. The doll.
-
How disenfranchised has true
desire become? I think it's
as widespread as dope: Mass
culture has always been a
wreck. Once I first landed
in NYC, my sudden exposures,
at the low-end of my personal
scale, involved just that. I
was suddenly scrounging
around for any sort of those
unique, 'pocket-change' jobs
with fluid hours and limited
responsibilities by which to
carry aloft my (very-leaden) 
balloon of self. They all led
me into the black holes of
'mass-culture' jobs, whether
it was cheapo food-service,
work at a recod store, 
any of those Rappaport family
stores that ran lower 2nd Ave;
or, as it turned out, the hamburger
grub and ice-cream store which
bordered on the north side of the
Fillmore East, just then starting
out. Moby Grape, actually, was
the first guys I saw; not their
show, just them. 8:05 was
their song, then. Just guys; it
was cool. I didn't know anything
about any Skip Spence stuff or
any of that  -  or even the Fillmore
itself, whatever it became. It was
a complete mass-cult of nothing
much to me. Clumps of stpned
people, chugging out of rock
shows to stumble next door nd
get some ice cream, or a hamburger
or any junk to satiate their probably
raging and irksome pot hunger.
It was a gas. (That's humor!).
-
This writer guy by the name of
Ortega y Gasset, he once wrote,
in reference to this 'mass cult' 
stuff, some kind of interesting 
words. Way back then, and they're
still good. ('Revolt Of the Masses'
1930): 'The world is a civilized
one, its inhabitant is not: he does
not see the civilization of the world
around him, but he uses it as if it
were a natural force. The new man
wants his motor-car, and enjoys it,
but he believes that it is the spontaneous
fruit of an Edenic tree. In the depths
of his soul he is unaware of the
artificial, almost incredible, character
of civilization, and does not extend
his enthusiasm for the instruments
to the principles which make them
possible.
-
So now I still cannot tell if the so
called 'civilized' one is that one 
which demands the order and the 
compulsiveness to put things right 
and straight, but never does (after
all, let's face it, the entireties of the 
twentieth and now the twenty-first
centuries to date have been dedicated 
to the proposition that the fist, gloved
or not, caked with war-paint or just
well-concealed, can be set right by
arms, force, control, power, and
coercion), or the 'other' one  -  mine  -
which rather proclaims the mad-dash
to non-uniformity and an anarchy
ramble-fest of the creative and the
wild impulse. Which brings forth
progress? Growth? Satisfaction?
Me?

No comments: