Monday, July 29, 2019

11,949. RUDIMENTS, pt. 761

RUDIMENTS, pt. 761
(who among you...)
Rattles abstract the quart with
no bottom : the painter is cleaning
his brushes. I sit nearby, in some
ancient wicker chair that's so
dry from age the wicker turns
to powder when you touch it.
Who among you should dare
for any more than that? There's
a flashlight on the shelf, an old
style kind, basic, batteries and
a little lamp  -  not those fancy
super-bright things they peddle
now. Painters don't buy junk
like that. Anyhow, this old loft
used to be a carpenter shop once
too, and then they stored paint
gallons, later. Who among you
knew any of that? The place on
the corner, called Phoebe's; as
I recall, from experience, it's
been here for years. In the 1980's
it stuck out like a sore thumb.
Now it rather fits right in. High
toned shoes, ambi-sexual men,
girls in light stockings and things
in their noses. But, still, I don't
go there; it's not for me. The
kind of ugly drinking I ever do
I do at Swift's, over there, just
across the way. That's the Bowery,
and I think that's east 4th Street.
Down there, see. Had I brought
you there, 40 years ago, you'd be
dead already  -  some nasty eel
would have had you down. The
bums here, they used to just sleep
on the sidewalk, like major guys
in a homeless domain.
-
There was no caroling on the
street corners, let me just put it
that way. One time I saw a guy,
passed out and gone, maybe even
dead, I don't know, over there,
Amato Opera Company, or
something, was right there. He
was getting stripped of everything
by two other bums  -  shoes, jacket,
pants shirt; they leave him there,
not quite bare but close, and it was
only early March. Who knows
what happened to him. They don't
drive hearses up and down this
street, or didn't then. When I
first got here, July, 1967, I was
astounded  -  right there, that
building, made of metal and it
was rusting - rust stains and leak
lines everywhere, and I think
it was the home too of some
now-famous dance or ballet
group, some guy and women
ran it  -  kind of incendiary,
street theater with anti-social
kind of 1960's messages. Not
Judson, but it'll come to me. The
Living Theater. Julian Beck; 
Judith Malina. Live goes on. It
was my first exposure to metal
buildings, and only then did I
learn about Soho which has
always had rows and rows of
cast-iron buildings. Most of them
still there, and treasured now. It's
a real sight to see. Lots of bright
colors and new, fresh paint.
-
Those bums I talked about, back
then they were always white guys,
usually in suits and stuff. The oddest
thing  -  dress clothes for bums; like
it was 1940 still and their lucks had
not yet run out. Poor stiffs; I always
felt sorry for them, but I go around
a lot feeling sorry for all sorts of
things. If I see a guy getting a
damn ticket, I feel sorry for him,
or her, whoever it is, and then I
feel sorry for the stupid traffic
police person who has to do that
to others, enforcement and all.
Once I get rolling, I never stop. I
get sorry for the whole goddamned
world. Nobody ever gets sorry for
me though, isn't that weird  -  I've
gotten tickets, even been towed
twice, and they treat you like crap.
Nobody gives your grief a second
thought  -  you have to go find your
car in the impound yard, pay to get
there, or walk, across town. Then
when you get there, it's cash only,
last I knew anyway. Like a hundred
and forty bucks, and they expect you
to just have that on you  -  as if
you were headed to a gentlemen's
club or a nudie bar (NY is famed
for all that crap) and rolling in the
cash you need to just peel off on
some cute little bare-babe dancing
lithe body. See what I mean? What 
the hell's the matter with people?
Once you do get there, they're
all surly and nasty to you, and if
you complain about something, 
it's some beastly bear of a slob
muttering some half-English,
'Shoulda thought about dat when
you wuz parking, buster.'
-
Who among you would even think
of that stuff? See that spot right there?
The building's gone now, they tore 
it down in the early 'oughts (Boy,
I hate that, using that dumb word;
it means like the early 2000's.
Sometimes Britishisms are cool;
sometimes they're bloody rotters).
The building that used to be there
was called McGuirk's Suicide Hall.
From the Civil War era up, right
into the 1920's and past, probably,
it was a thriving whorehouse, filled
with girls on shifts. Like prisoners.
Men came in droves, arriving in
some cases like royalty, and in
other cases like dogs. Over and
over, they'd arrive, weekly or
whatever, pay their dough, call
out or pick their favorite or the
newest, and go upstairs. It was
so bad  -  and how it got that
name  -  that girls used to despair,
and just go upstairs and jump off
the roof, to their deaths. That's
the truth, ain't making nothing
up. By the 1980's it was vacant,
derelict, sad and probably filled
with bad, miserable spirits. I used
to go through the fence they'd put
up, to the side alleys, just to figure
the jumps, and where the poor girls 
would have landed and all that.
Tough stuff, and I wasn't no rogue.
-
You don't need antennae to pic
up on things. Any jerk with half 
a brain, if he pays attention, can
intuit stuff everywhere; the way of
the world, male and female and all
the rest. It's said women are even
better at all that than men. If that's
the case, with all that sensitivity 
and feeling and intuition, then 
I'm probably half or more female
myself. Just goes to show. Who
among you would ever know that?
When the camera lights come on,
you're supposed to know they're
filming  -  that's like Hollywood
crap, and they do it all with signal
lights and the director's clappers
and all. It's so simple for the rest
of life too, but no one ever knows
when the 'important' lights come 
on. They just go about, continuing 
their same stupid ways and 
blunders  and compounding it 
all by convincing themselves, 
over and over, that their wrong 
is most certainly right.

No comments: