Thursday, July 18, 2019

11,919. RUDIMENTS, pt. 750

RUDIMENTS, pt. 750
(sing to me of other times)
Every so often, something
went amiss  -  with me or
around me. I'd see what was
wrong, running off, and  -  
only if there was a certainty
I could solve it  -  would I 
endeavor to get involved. 
I always ended up envying
those people I'd see  -  and
I knew any number of them  -  
who were good with tools,
able to fix most anything,
spin a wrench, tune an
engine, etc. The useful 
stuff. I'd somehow missed 
out on most of that although 
I could do the basics, and
did. Most often though,I'd
go past my level of competence,
and end up with a mess. Once
I learned my limits, I was
OK. When I was living out
in Pennsylvania  -  not much
money at all, living as close 
to the vest as possible  -  I
found myself with all this
space : workplaces, benches,
open area, barn workshop
room, and nothing to do in it
mostly because I had no tools,
or implements. I ever so
slowly set to using one of
those farm/country mail-order
places, from whose catalogues
I'd pick 20 or 25 dollar bunches
of tools. (25 dollars got you a
lot more in those days). Plus,
there were always farmers
dying, farm auctions, 
bankruptcies, etc., from which
to (ghoulishly) buy from.
Mostly I wanted to be able to
fix my own vehicle workings,
the necessary house stuff -
(two Gould water-pumps, the
bizarre furnace set-up, and
other things). It all went OK,
and turned out pretty well,
though before long I was
pretty surely hooked up with
Warren  -  the neighboring farmer
guy  -  and he had tons of stuff.
from generations of farming.
I found myself more interested,
in, and fascinated by, his fine
assortments of old tools. Like
really old, from two or three
family generations back. They
had that 'age' to them, the
ruggedness and 'patina' let's call
it, of countless uses and the
wretched turmoil of needed
work and toil. They sang to
me of other times. Of course I
kept quiet about any of that,
since these guys weren't the 
type that would understand 
or share the sentiments. It's 
always been such with me. 
-
Soon enough all that extra space
did manage to cause me trouble,
tools or no tools. I let a few
local guys in, using it as a sort
of auto-fix-it garage, sideline
space. I didn't exactly mind it,
at first. Well actually it all started
when I need a flywheel in my
'64 Ford pickup truck. Knowing
my own limitations, I let the
word out and this guy came over
and said he and his friends would
like to hep me with the flywheel
project, if maybe I then could
let them fix a few cars here and 
there in that open barn-bay
workshop space. Which was 
OK with me  -  got me a needed
repair job done, with me mostly
just watching, as they set about 
the task. I considered it to be
a major auto-repair; they just
laughed it off and went right
to it. I forget exactly, but maybe
three or four nights later, the
job was done. In a fine,country
style  -  a few cinderblocks, some
beers, jokes, throwing things,
talking shit, all that. Once or
twice my wife would walk in,
along with some food, and 
there'd be a break. It was  -
as I said  -  back then, and 
country  -  so cigarettes were
always going, and hard liquor
was around too. We got it all
done, in a straight piece, and
the truck ran fine.
-
When I was at St. George Press,
there used to be a body-shop
right next door to it, called
'Royal Auto Body.' I'd go in
there sometimes after work.
The guy, Jerry, had just taken
it over after buying it fro the
previous old guy who'd started
and ran the business  -  until he
retired and wanted out. I'd never
been in any place around Avenel
that sort of reminded me of my
old Pennsylvania spot   - but right
there, on St. George Ave., they'd
be inside, sitting around on crates,
staring at a car, talking paint, or
dents and scratches, or whatever,
and the bottle of booze would
be out, getting passed around.
It was so old-school and loose
and informal. Swigging from
the bottle, and right between
words. And, yep, there too, the
cigarettes. It was fine. It used to
be, back  the, 1978 or so, they'd
just paint the car right there, 
after prepping it and all, on the
shop floor, all standing around, 
talking and drinking too. Breathing
all that, and little clouds of color
sometimes floating around too. 
It was a few years later, with all 
that OSHA stuff, that a lot of 
these small places closed up  -  
the Government know-it-alls 
then mandated that each body-shop
needed an isolated paint-booth
inside, ventilated and filtered and
closed, to keep all that from 
happening  -  the stuff I just
mentioned. That was pretty much
the end of Royal Auto Body :
it was all a huge investment and
new commitment to make, and 
some of these guys, like Jerry,
the way they were, the kind of
guys they were, just weren't
interested in that stuff. It's the
same everywhere  -  stupid
Government a'holes muscling
in, like the pencil pusher dweebs
know anything about body-shop
work and lore. It's the same today;
government toadys running around
as fire inspectors and panty-waist
examiners. All full of themselves,
and crap too.
-
Now, these are my opinions, and I
therefore reserve my right to state
them here. Anyone may disagree, and
and I don't really give a flying 
ham-sandwich about that. What galls 
me the most is ignorance; and these 
are ignorant people. When they're all 
done with their filthy despoilation
of the places we live, when that boat 
for their post-career lives arrives, their 
simple sell-out of our lives and times
will mean nothing to them and they'll
be on the first 'I'm moving' boat out 
of here; leaving us their ignorant 
pain and destitution to live amidst. 
The profit motive is a clothes hanger 
running right up their butts.
-
I wouldn't mind any of it, but it's
the way it's all lied about that does
me in. These little midget guys 
think nothing of lying. It doesn't
even bother their weenie-conscience 
one bit. Two Summers ago, by the
local middle school, mostly where
Indians live and congregate, they
cut down a fine, long row of trees.
maybe 15 trees. The local poli-mouth
than put out a cover-lie, I mean, story
about tree infestation, disease and
all that usual malarkey. He made 
the announcement, at least, himself.
Two years later, the local park, and
one in Woodbridge too, is being
de-forested  -  trees coming down
everywhere. The same mouse-trap
this time stays mum, and some
other local dweeb says it's because
the trees were bad and a limb came
down, threatening the kids in the
park. Yes, Indians again  -  picnics
and festivals all the time. The local
political guy this time shuts up, and
they drag out some other blowhard
willing to say anything about anything.
He won't even speak for himself!
Something ought to be done about
lying. The fact of the matter is two-fold:
One. The demands of the Indian
populations, who hate trees, are
given priority over any older-line and
traditional American qualities  -  like
tree'd, sheltered, shaded, parks. And,
Two: The conveniently prime mover
of tree-infestation is always about, as
excuse. You see, the 'American' system 
is rigged. What's never mentioned is 
how insurance companies and renewal
policies have been given their own 
precedence for 'lowering' their own
exposures to risk-factors. Which is
what insurance companies are meant
to be about; to take and then to
cover the risk, which is why they
get your money in the first place.
But, the insurance lobby, powerful 
and monied, has other ideas. They
just want the municipal monies.
If you don't cut down this, this,
and that tree, we won't renew.
Good God, it might fall down.
(I also think it's a shame because
these little, unprincipled, men and 
women are the same ones who would
 kill your country, and sell you and me
down the river for a dime, to defeatists,
losers, liars and more know-nothings.
-
That's just how things are today.
Everyone's a girl-doll now; afraid of
shadows and finger-puppets too.
The locals cover for it; easy talk,
lies come cheap. I'd sure love to 
correct all that  -  bringing a few
of my old Pennsylvania guys out
here to re-do some flywheels and
get things running right. 'We don't
need no stinking spray-booth.'
-
(part two (next) is about the trouble
caused by their repair endeavor).












No comments: