Tuesday, July 23, 2019

11,934. RUDIMENTS, pt.755

RUDIMENTS, pt. 755
(a country fellow with a hick's haircut)
Long about those days
I was probably about
145 pounds. Skinny
like nothing, and shorn
to look like a kid. It was
OK, because the idea
was to fit in, stay busy
and make it work, It
was my own production,
with lots of it fiction.
These farmer guys, in
a lot of ways, were like
old women. Catty and
talkative. The haircut
maintenance thing wasn't
even my idea, but it had
a lot to do with the way
all these farm guys had
their evenings and all,
together. The funny
thing too was how you
never saw these guys
with their wives, and
vice-versa. The women
did women stuff, together;
all those church socials
and missionary talks and
pot-luck dinners on Sundays.
The men, working early
and through the day, when
they did get done, had a sort
of routine  -  but it never did
involve anything like cracking
open a few beers and jawing
about something on a porch
or wherever. It always had
to 'be' something,  -  as if
without usefulness nothing
was to be allowed. Out in
the sticks, most of the rule
and order was kept intact by
what was called a Justice of
the Peace. That meant tags
and plates and insurance,
for cars; it meant paying
property taxes; occasionally
it meant marriages too.
Property agreements, the
notarization of anything.
They were magistrates of
a medium order. During
the day, regular guys  - 
Farmer Joe Blow. Usually,
of course, they weren't
paupers; they had the
big house, big driveway
and porch area, room for
a separate office area, etc.
and most always, too, they
were 'Amway' agents. I'm
not too sure, but back then
in the country, 'Amway'
was some sort of soaps
and detergents and perfumes
thing, with local people as
sales agents. Almost like
Jehovah's Witnesses, but
for cleanliness. You could
subscribe to product, order
things, get things, and even
have demonstrations and all
that, to your home. These
Justice of the Peace guys
usually had this all sewn
up. It all bored me to tears,
but who cared. The bigger
idea  -  and this is where it
gets funny  -  is that most
of these guys also had a
room or a closed off section
of the porch, where they
gave haircuts! Often there
were even little signs around,
Fred's Barbering, something
like that. Stupid names,
sometimes the person's
full name, other times just
some silly thing like 'The
Fast Clip.' That's how I got
involved; two ways, actually.
First was when I needed plates
for a car  -  registration and
all that. My farmer-friend,
Warren, for whom I worked
too, taking care of his barn,
and milk schedule, farm work,
tractors, cows, etc., would take
me around to do these things
and get them done, at the same
time introducing me around to
the local people  -  so there was
less of a 'stranger' quality to
this 'new guy' around. I never
fit in too well, but I did what
I had to do  -  and that included
Warren's ideas for my haircuts.
So, often, I ended up in one of
those barber-chair places, usually
with two or three other guys too,
waiting, sitting around, getting
haircuts, or just talking like
ladies. Who just bought what,
whose tractor broke down,
and the whole story that went
with it, whose cow has a case
of Mastitis (a serious udder
infection, involving inflamed
udders, discharge, painful
sensitivity, painful milking,
and serious hardening of the
swollen udder). Veterinarian
stories about cows and horses.
Cars and machinery woes, and
even occasionally, wife and
family woes, serious or joking.
Lastly, there was usually 
someone around to be spoken
of for sneaking around with
someone else's wife  -  there
was a seeming inordinate
amount of that in Happy 
Farmer Land...So, I got lots
of haircuts, pretty steadily.
I forget the shaving; I guess
I did that myself. I managed
to meet all the guys around,
hear their hunting and gopher
stories, learn about their guns
and armaments too. At least
I wouldn't be shot for being
an outsider.
-
When Fall came, October and
all, there was always a supply of
Apple Jack or Apple Mash cider
that was dragged out. Sometimes
it was clear; other times cloudy
and thicker. (I don't mean the
weather; I speak of the hootch).
I partook, as needed, but the
stuff was like bleach, tinged
with turpentine. Real good.
A lot of these farmer guys 
took real pride in what they 
made; fermenting their apple 
crops,  etc. I found there was 
something to learn, everywhere. 
My wife, with the young son, 
did all the same kind of stuff, 
buy with the ladies; usually 
over at the local church  -  the
most simple yet uncomfortable 
sorts of little gatherings. But, 
she was keeping up her end 
of the deal too, by doing that.
-
Two last things, I think. Most
all of these guys were quite a
bit older than me, already into 
their 30's, mid and late 30's
an beyond too. I was still raw
and young, by comparison. The
on very vexing problem I did
keep running into was the 
daughters of these men  -  a
number of these daughters 
I found quite attractive. It was
uncomfortable, to say the least,
and I didn't know how to react.
Ages, perhaps 16-18, maybe,
and, for all intents and purposes,
to me, already far off-limits.
I often felt besides way out of
place, and uncomfortable too, 
much like an outsider, guilty
and up to it, (as Virgil puts it, in
The Aeneid):  'a reserved country
fellow with a hick's haircut, who
spoke so haltingly that he could
seem downright uneducated. His
retiring nature earned him the
nickname 'parthenias' (Greek
for 'little virgin')...'




No comments: