Thursday, July 18, 2019

11,918. ANDIRON

ANDIRON
In spirit, the lesee pays nothing,
and the property runs to the line
of the fence. Inside, there's a nice
workshop, with a nice vice, a good
grip, a fireplace, andiron, and a poker.
A very large sitting room, and a broad
window to look out from when that
fireplace fire is roaring. A nice place
to be. You see?
-
It wasn't like Rome was built in a day.
That was something they used to
mutter about, back when I was a
kid. You don't hear it much anymore.
Like that magic water that used to
fast-grow Moon ferns, it's all gone.
Anyone could build Rome now in
two seconds if they set out to do so.
-
I found, on the wall, a little shelf too;
it holds a piece of etched metal that
I can't figure out; something from
1917, looking like maybe a helmet
and a sword, together, and a ring of
words, I think mentioning valor and
service. It's all pretty worn and faded,
as if someone endlessly rubbed it down
with a cloth  -  for how many years, 
I don't know.
-
There used to be a song, a long time 
ago, maybe 1967, or so; by the Young 
Rascals. It was called 'Groovin' and 
played everywhere forever, for that 
Summer and that fall anyway. There
was a confusing line it it, after a bit
about realizing, enjoying, and staying
happy and fulfilled. It went, 'You and
me, endlessly, grooving...' I always and
heard it as 'You and me and Leslie, 
grooving. I was felt compelled to ask,
'Who's Leslie? and what's he doing 
in this picture?



No comments: