Tuesday, July 16, 2019

11,914. RUDIMENTS, pt. 748

RUDIMENTS, pt. 748
(small doses, big tablespoons)
I sat there, just thinking to
myself 'How did I ever get
to this position?' It's so tedious,
being uncomfortable. I've been
there 20 times over. One time,
when I first began working at
Princeton, the bookstore somehow
immediately hired another person,
just bumped in front of me, who
began taking over my job, and a
few others too. I'm a liberal guy,
and I wasn't (too) phased by what
I saw happening. Most of it was
lady-to-lady stuff, all of which
only later I caught onto. I was
a guy, and my discomfiture was
probably equal to theirs about
having me around. It didn't
matter, and that's not my point.
My point is I was hamstrung
from the very first by a darker
sort of happening and it all
got in the way of my clear
thinking; which is bound to
happen and bound to be bad.
It turned to deep cold January,
thankfully, very quickly that
year. I'd scamper out of there,
after six, mind you, which was
an extra daily hour  -  as usual
no recompense  -  based on
work load, straightening all
the initial forays of a newly
opened operation, walking in
the dark down the mile or so
to the little train station, where
I'd wait some more; usually
reading something and just
trying to clear my mind and
find again that clear-light spot
which they'd, by this time,
clearly muddled. I had thought
the job was going to be about
books, university level, scholarly
stuff. Their brags were good,
yes, but it didn't turn out that
way at all. The job ended up
being the usual crap commerce  -
trying ways to keep your finger
on the butcher scale to wring
out another few pennies from
a deal. Books bought cheap, in
great piles, and peddled, though
still 'cheap' by the 30-dollar
standards of the new books,
but still shystered and sneaked
through to get that extra 35 cents
or so whenever possible. It was,
alas, just another instance of
business and business people at
work. Trying to make yet another
buck from the sequestered and
darkened areas of the almost-not
legit. (I turned him onto to what
a printer's guillotine cutter was,
made the connection with a
printing-machine company in
Paterson, NJ, and within a month
there was a powered paper-cutter
installed. Remainders were to be
trimmed (the black mark at the
bottom), and then returned to the
publisher as new returns, gaining
new return prices! It worked, a
literary scam for the ages). I 
shrugged, and guessed that too
was high-culture; bookstore terms.
So at one level that was going on,
while at another level the shifting
alliances had checked me out
already  -  he's no longer here,
thank you. Fact was, everytime I
diplomatically moved (I should
have just metaphorically blown
the place up and gone ballistic),
I was hauled off to be spoken
with. Tea-time at an outdoor
Panera table, funny as that all
sounds. Injustice by committee.
Being scolded by ladies. Fact
is, I rolled over. I had better
things to do. There comes a 
time when a man reads the
evidences before him, sifts
through the embers, as it
were, and makes his own
conclusions. If it had been
country music, it would have
been named Clit Black.
-
Small doses, big tablespoons?
Maybe that should be small doses,
big lampshades. For all it matters.
For all anyone understands. For
all anyone cared. And those ladies
too are all still underway with
the same intense longings. But
without me - that plug's been
pulled and a certain sort of dirty
water (me) has drained off. I
sometimes wonder if the cutter's
still cutting? If the books sent to
prisons get trimmed? If the poppy
cock agenda of equal and same
gets traded off between all the
different factions that pass through.
Youth for nothing, and the old
for nothing at all as well.
-
What's it all got to do with
anything anyway? Not much,
because time is constantly on
its run  -  the slow trek into
the Princeton station, by the
'Dinky'  -  as that little and
single-stop train is called, goes
past, right now, 50 different
things than it did previously.
Every bit of the old that I
remember, is gone. That's how
things have always worked.
'Gone' : the morning sunrise crawl
along the backs of the post office 
annex building and the old furniture
shop and some houses and the 
unused buildings and the old train
station building itself, now a portly
restaurant while all the other things
are gone and rebuilt. They've
all changed and been changed,
so why shouldn't I have too? 
There used to be a wild and
raucous spit-fire convenience
store there, filled at all hours
with wandering students, half
drunks and half hungries, the
hungover wastrels and the
leftovers too, of each persuasion.
They've all been trimmed by the
societal madness of the same
sort of cheating guillotine cutter
that hacks through books and
sends them away. Curious how
business is always so boring
and filthy.




No comments: