Saturday, July 6, 2019

11,884. RUDIMENTS, pt. 737

RUDIMENTS, pt. 737
(here's how we roll)
So, to take a little side
breather here, I'll relate
a true tale. The year is 
1982. I know a cute little
rich girl from New Canaan
Connecticut; New Canaan
Falls anyway  -  tony enclave
of wealth, exquisite homes,
educated, tasteful people.
All good, no problems. I
won't use names because
she's still around today,
successful and happy, 
running an art gallery 
there, of her very own.
She had one of those 
lineage names  -  three
names, hyphenated, one
of them the same name as
a past President, etc. Blue
blood, higher class, however
it's called, in a country where
that doesn't exist. No class
or caste here. Went visiting
there once, met her brother 
and some friends. They're all 
gung-ho on college sports,
talking it up, basketball or
football, I forget. All I keep
hearing is 'Yukon' this, 
'Yukon' that, rah-rah-rah.
I'm sitting there wondering
why in the world are these guys
guys all worked up about a 
college team from Alaska?
Stupid me. I realize later they
mean U. Conn. The local team,
University of Connecticut. I
never let on about my stupidity,
and got away with it.
-
She's working in an art-design
place, and she takes me there  -  
to see the place, on an off-day,
look at her work, see the other
items, sit around, talk, etc. We
had some food she'd prepared 
there. I was impressed. (I know
what you're waiting for, but, no,
nothing of that nature occurred).
The long day comes to an end.
All good. Oh, I should mention,
too, another lower-class stupidity
on my part. While driving there
on the Connecticut Turnpike,
there's a monstrous dead dog
in my lane, the fast lane. I was
hemmed in, so I decided to stay
steady and go OVER the dog,
figuring the vehicle would be
high enough to pass over it.
Wrong! Suddenly, at 65mph
I'm dragging along a huge 
dead dog, one that I didn't 
hit. Horrible and gruesome.
Not knowing what to do, I
slowed some, so as to get
over to the right and pull off, and
do something. That manuever,
fortunately, I guess, dislodged
the dead dog, which stayed on 
the roadway. I still had no
clue what to do, or what my
undercarriage looked like, but
I just kept rolling along. Once
I got there, and checked, there
really was little evidence of the
episode. I was picturing: 'Oh,
Jane, hello, your friend's here.
He just pulled in, in a car dripping
blood and pulp-matter.' Jane's
NOT the real name.
-
A week or so later she says to me,
'My brother and his wife are going
to Bermuda for 10 days. Would you
like to apartment sit their place,
watch the cat, water the plants?
It was a nice apartment, with
rooftop privileges too, on east
58th, 2nd Ave or whatever it
is over there by the Roosevelt
Island Tramway. Not a doorman
deal, but really nice. A Bentley
dealership on the ground floor,
and a few other fancy car dealers,
Jaguar, Ferrari, etc. I said sure.
She said OK, bring Kathy and
Jay too  -  make a week of it.
So, we did, It all worked out
great. 
-
One day we're going to an
art exhibit, in the east side gallery
areas, I can't recall where. The
artist is Joseph Cornell, who sort
of was famous from the 1930's 
and so for his strange, eccentric,
shadow box type constructions.
Not often exhibited, it was a very
nice show of about 20 pieces. My
son's smallish bicycle, we'd chained
outside, to a meter. Upon exiting the
show, I bend over to unlock the
bike and I notice in the garbage  -  a
fabric bag, with handles, is there.
Banana peels, parts of a sandwich,
a plastic wrapper, etc. And what
sure looks to be like a Cornell Box
around which all this trash had landed.
Without missing a beat, or saying a
word, I finish with the bike, grab the
handle bag, and say 'Let's go. Just
keep walking, into the park.' My
wife was onto this by then too,
having pretty much seen what 
I'd seen. We get into the deeper 
middle of the park, sit on the 
grass, and begin going through 
the bag, separating the trash and 
stuff, and throwing all that into the
nearby can. We're left, definitely,
with a Cornell Box. In the whole 
world, art world and all, there are, 
maybe (I guess at this) 500 tops; 
they're scarce and valued. When
I say 'valued' I mean in Art terms,
like using millions instead of
hundreds. We get back to the
apartment. Closer inspection  - 
the signature, etc. It's a fairly
trashed Cornell Box. We put it
aside, I call my artist friend, Jeff,
up, from w87th. He comes right
over, declaims it authentic too,
asks to hear the story again, and
goes into his deep, strong, 'Holy
fucking shit!' raves. 
-
Eventually we get it home with 
us, at the end of the stay. I make
a few cursory repairs to it, with
care. And it sits on our mantle,
yes, for the next 16 years. About
1997, feeling my oats, and feeling
that time enough had passed, I
place a small 100-dollar box-ad
in the NYTimes Art Section. It
was a dare, and anything could
have happened. One gallery guy,
in San Francisco calls me. We talk,
and arrangements are made for
me to meet his agent and an expert
and buyer and appraiser. He asks
a million questions. In the art
world the most important thing is 
'Provenance'  -  for any piece
of artwork : who has owned it, 
where's it been shown, where is it
kept, documentation, exhibit
and loan history, sales and resales,
all that. He wanted to know (in
person now, I met them all at
some art-apartment place in the
e 80's). How had I come by this
art-piece by Cornell? I lamely
said that when my grandmother
had died it 'came to me as one
of her possessions.' Oh, really?
'Yes.' Cornell lived his entire life
on Utopia Parkway, in Queens.
Same age group as my grandmother,
who basically was Bayonne in 
adult life, and Asbury Park as 
a kid. (My mother's mother, this
is). 'Perhaps she would have
known Joseph Cornell? He'd
given it to her?'  -  normal question,
but I said I had no clue, just that
for the last 20 years it had been
nowhere but on my mantle. OK.
Then the Cornell expert pipes up.
Apparently everything I had done
to this broken-up box was wrong,
and detracted from it. I'd replaced
the glass front  -  wrong sort of
glass, not old, today's thin, shinier
glass. My touch-ups of white paint
were all wrong, mis-hued, errant.
It was missing some moldings,
the sand used inside the wine
goblet in it was terrible sand;
normal beach sand, not right
at all. It just went on. This guy
knew what years Cornell used
what moldings (he'd buy scrap
molding from demolition sites),
and so what periods they matched.
He knew the tints and colors of
the varied style-changes and eras.
He knew the little nails Cornell
used. He saw the stains and dirt.
My box, he said, while quite
authentic, and with the correct
signature on the rear tape panel,
had been essentially tortured and
mangled. Only a ghost of the
original. However, they'd offer
to buy it from me, no further
questions, and do  -  eventually  -
perhaps, a full restoration, for
future exhibiting  -  if it could be
found to fit in his oeuvre. How 
much, by the way, was I looking 
to get for this ('worthless piece of
undocumented crap with a bullshit
story attached')? They had not
said that, but they may as well
have. Realizing I may have cooked
my own goose, and with the San
Francisco collector guy too, on the
video-conference screen (rare, I
thought, for 1997; pretty fancy),
and that I'd started from zero, on
a possibly troublesome, stolen,
or otherwise marked object, I then
blurted out, 'well, ah, twenty-thousand?'
They all moved aside, went to the
video screen, had their little confab,
while the expert begins talking to
me, or keeping me busy so as not
to hear them, whatever. He said
he was startled when I first walked
in (as crazy-looking, hairy, intense,
as I was) and then said that he also
was a seer and a visionary and that
(don't laugh; this is all true) when
he saw me he immediately realized
that I was a reincarnation of Mad King
Ludwig of Bavaria. And that he saw
me, on horseback, leading very many
men over a field of battle, charging
onward, with many followers and
faithful. (I had to look this Ludwig
guy up later). I said 'Yeah, well, yeah,
OK.....blah, blah.' By this time, even
MY palms were sweaty; I'm sitting
here next to a nut? They came back.
'We can give ten thousand dollars, 
right now, or nothing at all.' God's
honest truth. I said, OK, on the
condition that when and if this is
ever restored and exhibited, my 
wife can see it and be given an
exhibit schedule of its movement.
(Sort of like a reverse Provenance
by my own insistence. I was so
clever). They said sure, sure.
To this day, I remain haunted  -
was this all random numbers
in their game? If I had said
80,000, would they have 
simply offered half, at 40?
Guess I'll never know.
-
I thought of demanding cash, but
took instead their business check,
some business cards, their arty
brochure, and took my leave. I've
never heard from them again.


No comments: