Saturday, July 27, 2019

11,941. RUDIMENTS, pt. 758

RUDIMENTS, pt 758
(wearing my fright wig): pt.One
I always figured that unless
someone was attacking me,
or defending me, for that
matter, I'd just stay out
of it. Once it appeared
that I myself was involved,
in one way or the other,
I'd still just stay far away
from the issue, as much
as I could, lest I become
the issue. I learned that
once, early on, and it's
all now a foggy memory,
but it had to do with the
local church, St. Andrew's,
in Avenel, and a local priest
there  -  (favored young
boys way too much)  -  a
friend of mine I'll call Al,
another friend I'll call Jim.
We were all hanging around
there too much that one
Summer, and had gotten a
sort of small cash job painting
the interior of the old church
which by then had been turned
into a sweaty basketball court
and gymnasium. Kind of one
of those lame 'youth-center'
things they used to pawn off
on kids in the old juvenile
delinquent days. No one
was really doing much,
between us I mean, except
painting those interior walls
and then goofing off some too.
Over in the other building,
the new 'real' church (or the
one not yet a basketball court),
there was a huge shipment of
Coca Cola, both empties and
new, with which we kept the
Coke machines (vending)
filled, and maintained the
order and storage of the
empties for the Coke guy's
return truck, and the new
shipment. It was really a
bore. This one time, or
week, (we used to switch off)
Jim was in charge of the Coke
closet (ah, such innocent days),
and he was neglectful. One
day the entire pile-up of empties
and new bottles too, improperly
stacked or whatever, toppled
over. It wasn't broken bottles
or anything (those old Coke
bottles were tough, and this
was before cans; when Coke
was still vended in bottles).
We knew about it, Al and I,
but said nothing. It was a sort
of combination of not wanting
to squeal, and also not wanting
to have to pick it all up. The
bottles had rolled all over the
place in that closet room, and
even somewhat had blocked
the door from being opened.
I forget but I guess it opened
in. (Come to think of it, I
wonder how that works or by
what judgment; some doors
open out, some open in). The
matter here rested, for a day
or two. We, or I was anyway,
were sort of paralyzed, and
there was no move on Jim's
part to do anything about it.
In a day or two the priest
fellow found out  -  he also
had, I should add, a wiry
temper when rattled  -  and
he went off pretty bad on Jim,
ripping him a new butt-hole
(oops! I probably shouldn't
say that. Priests), in the process.
After that, frankly, I don't
remember what occurred
and how it was rectified
except I do remember getting
a phone call and a scolding for
letting something like that occur.
Of course, it had not been my
responsibility, so I couldn't
figure that out  -  I was the
same sort of slouch they were,
just milking a bunch of Summer
days for some church-free cash.
Jim got like some solitary-
confinement prison detail to
stay there and clean it up and
not leave until it was done!
-
For me, this was all a formative
moment and all it did was reinforce
the idea of the world and its rules
and processes as nothing more than
a huge pile of junk. People were
stupid and crazy  - even this priest
guy who was supposed to, at the
least, have some guiding-smarts.
Wailing like an old grandma over
some messy Coke bottles. I was
sorry but I was never able to
equate Jesus to Coca-Cola. The
other facet of this, as well, was
how poorly it reflected back on
adult thinking. It's hard to explain
now but back then, at the turn
of the 60's, before any assassinations
or Vietnam or hippies, the biggest
fright-fest that could be turned
against kids was this whole gangs
and juvenile delinquency parade.
You never hear of it now, and kids
now are stupid enough (but smarter
for that too) to keep their heads and
minds buried in some electronic
and screen stuff rather than get
involved hanging out on street
corners in leather jackets and
combing their hair and gouging
down after 'Chicks.' Right? In
the days I'm talking about, with
early TV stuff, and things like
West Side Story and all that, every
parent was in dubious fear of
losing their kid to delinquency.
Leathers, cars, tight girl sweaters,
promiscuity, group dynamics,
and anti-social behavior. Sal
Mineo, James Dean, Marlon
Brando, Lee Marvin, and all
that 'Wild One' stuff. You had
to be there; it swept the country
like a Twilight Zone episode.
In 15 short years, essentially,
the entire scenario went from
the schlock and sentimentality
of The Wild One to the pathetic
reactionary dross of Easy Rider.
'Death On a Pale Horse' indeed
-
There just wasn't much 'out there'
to be offered. The adult world
sucked and should have been
pelted with stones, right then,
and before 58,000 more of boys
like me (but not) were slaughtered,
for no good reason except the
vanity of more adult fools in
suits.
-
I took all this in, all these
observations, and they became
part of the clay of my make-up.
I went through all my New York
years with all this still drumming
around in my head  -  seminary
days included : a massive pulp
of raw material that had become
engrained within me, and which
I then held  -  as if it were a dousing
stick  -  over places of perceived
local water. Purportedly places
from which I would gain. At
the same time things perplexed
me. Elmira, for instance. I've
written here, about the blacks
that I saw, ghettoized and
placed in their own environs.
That always amazed me, about
the place. My Geology professor
lived right up the hill, at the
entrance to the old Woodlawn
cemetery there, where Mark
Twain is buried  -  and in that
same cemetery now there's a
small 'Negro' section, with
some slave names and stories,
days of bondage and service
to the 'Masters' in the big houses.
All done respectfully, yes. But
in the 1970's there was none of
that, and it all went unmentioned
and with little of the common
knowledge that there is today.
In this case, the more things
change, the less they are the
same. Just beyond that area,
the land leads down into the
military-graves section; which
dates back to the Civil War,
when the very famous Elmira
Prison Camp housed thousands
of Confederate prisoners, often
in horrific and quite miserable
conditions. As they died, they
were carted off, and buried here.
It only later then became a
formalized,  'military' memorial
ground, with rows of graves and
crosses from each succeeding war.
It was progressively more and
more crazy for me to be exposed
to. The black people of Elmira,
unlike so many, say, Manhattan
people now who are of a direct
and obvious African lineage,
were just 'Southern' blacks. The
kind of almost cliched 'old'
American blacks, the people
of whom you just KNEW were
descended from old-line slaves.
It was incredibly curious to me,
and rich and vital too, bespeaking
as it did some old, American
dedication to brute subservience
and power against others. In
that context, even Elmira must
have seemed as a great relief to
those coming North and ending
here. Good things come, perhaps,
in bad packages? I was reading
once about that old, black, shuffling
character type, the sort of cliched
and cartoon'd black person you
used to see (no more), 'Step'n Fetchit'
my mother used to call it. I think
that was a real person too; not
sure. Anyway, in this reading I
found a remarkable thing, and
it applied perfectly to the sort of
displaced, lazy-seeming black
people held by Elmira : All 
through the 1840's, etc., that 
entire period up through the 
Civil War era and some, in the
northern population of escaped
slaves and Fugitive Slave Law
abscondees, NYC, Philadelphia
and the rest, runaway'd blacks,
and ALL blacks (NYC had 
about 4,000 regular, legal
'freeman' blacks too) they were
in constant danger of being
picked up off the street, slave
history or not, had taken by
fugitive slave agents, back to
the South, labeled as runaways,
even if they'd never been, and
'sold' at auction market back
into slavery, and then transported
again to the deep south of Alabama
and Mississippi, where all this
was common. That fearsome, 
shuffling, stooped, dumb and
quietly furtive gait they projected,
in reality, was a means of caution
for them; constantly watching and in
fear of agents and white collectors.
-Part Two next-




No comments: