Friday, July 12, 2019

11,906. RUDIMENTS, pt. 744

RUDIMENTS, pt. 744
(left a mark on me : slavery pt. 0ne)
Looking back, there's always been
one thing that stands out to me. In
1957, when we went to Washington
DC and Fairfax, Virginia,, right on
to the seminary presences of the
early 1960's, and then, even later,
in NYC at 'Romeo's'  -  a spaghetti
and pizza place on 42nd, and even
to Mr. Rush, the orderly and door
guy at the Studio School, of whom
I've again just recently written. The
attendant 'serving' class, doing the
subservience and biddings of others,
white actually, were always black.
It struck me broadside on that DC
trip, and I was still only a little kid.
We stopped in some huge food place,
like a warehouse almost, of cafeteria
style food, people calling out orders,
a large center section where the food
was and the cooking went on, and,
circular and out from it, people all
gathered for their trays and orders,
etc. Pretty much a mob scene. And
it was segregated. 1957. Little Rock,
and all the rest of that  -  anything
here having to be done by other, for
others, was done by black people,
in obvious subservient positions.
-
It's all a funny legacy; of something
denied. The seminary slaves were
all black. The guys at Romeo's, the
cleaners and busboys, anything of
dirty hands, were black. We all knew
that, and it was a common knowledge
even though those of us here, up north,
as it went, were of a superior and
better ilk, of the type NOT to do
that. It was all bogus, a strange and
shaping cultural myth. Most every
downtown (and uptown too, I'd
wager) street in 1960's NYC had
blood on its hands : bondage, theft,
selling people, stealing people,
children dragged off. Sure, there
were 'colored asylum' homes and
sanctuaries. In the 1800's they
were mostly for the ones who'd
not gotten caught up in any of the
riots and race wars that swept the
early city as regularly as smallpox
and yellow fever epidemics did.
There were NYC blacks hung from
lampposts and street fixtures often
enough, and those were merely the
ones a person saw. As I walked
some of those places, even in
1967, with only a bit of the old
knowledge and presence still 
hovering around me, I was 
swathed in that discomfort. I
was able sense and to feel what 
had gone on. Some of those
dead, I just knew, were yet 
around, and I heard, as well, 
their sounds. It was a volatile
world, 150 years previous;
one when  people still walked
the city, got to places and made
communication, on foot and in
darkness. Streetlamps and roads 
were an oddity, and the sacred
travel was between sects and
secret groups; those abiding, and
those NOT abiding, what was
around them. Violence and death 
were easy, when 45 was 
considered old.
-
I saw segregation in the seminary,
but in its subliminal manifestations.
The ideas of God were used, often,
to cover this up  -  by fact of Nature,
WE were all white. To begin with
the most obvious fact. Aristotle
had once declared Slavery to be a
part of the natural order of things:
'The lower sort are by nature slaves,'
and 'it is better for them as for all
inferiors that they should be under
the rule of a master.' I found that
disquieting, almost as much as I
did Biblical bases for slavery when
I came across them : 'When a man
sells his daughter as a slave...' 
(Exodus 21:7, and Leviticus 
25:44-46). Just as examples. I
needed to ask, what's up with
all this? St. Paul exhorts slaves to
obey their masters (6 Ephesians /
1 Timothy). Yes, I know all that
is old matter; but so is the entire
deal, Crucifixion, Resurrection,
and all the rest. Where are we to
stop? There were days when I
could hardly take milk or food
from some star-eyed black person
waiting on me. It wasn't right,
and nothing made sense. Like a
fool, I stayed quiet. Who ever,
after all, had heard of a 13-year
old revolutionary? In about 3 
years, I'd gotten the heave-ho, 
and everyone had heard.
-
It was only later, years later,
that I'd grown enough to put
all that aside. I moved on; my
own concerns had changed.
I saw things differently  -
heck, I saw a whole different
world. One that no one else 
shared and that I'd not yet
developed the language to
portray; whether anyone got
it or not. Charles Dickens, on
a book-tour of the United States,
in 1841, read, in a NY Hotel
over his morning toast and tea,
('I was quite struck by how all
this is cooly read as part of
current news and small-talk'):
"Ran away, a negro woman
and two children. A few days
before she went off, I burnt
her with a hot iron, on the
left side of her face. I tried
to make the letter 'M'"....
"Fifty dollars reward for
the negro Jim Blake. Has a
piece cut out of each ear, and
the middle finger of the left
hand cut off to the second 
joint:"....."Ran away, a negro
named Arthur. Has a considerable
scar across his breast and each
arm, made by a knife; loves 
to  talk much of the goodness 
of God." There were times,
I swear, when I ran across
Jim, and Arthur, and that
woman 'M,' stealing along
the same cross streets I was.
-
I realize the seminary stuff
was all somewhat different,
and they were (I guess) being
paid for their work and had
their own freedom, but, still, 
they were southerners, with that
drawl, and they were sorrowful
blacks as well. It reeked to me
of bad service, and left a mark.
On me.








No comments: