Saturday, August 25, 2018

11,101. RUDIMENTS, pt. 419

RUDIMENTS, pt. 419
Making Cars
There were old buildings, 
things marked with cornerstones 
of 1904, 1912, and 1914. There 
was a grave marker for dead 
and washed up, forgotten,
revolutionary-era British 
soldiers who'd washed up, 
tried to survive, on the sand
and dunes, and whose dead 
and hidden bodies were only 
found later, and rightfully 
buried no matter the cause 
or the side. That particular
marker is still there, in the 
middle of a neglected field. 
These are things we live with, 
and mostly today all that is 
unknown; and no one really 
cares anyway. Too bad. 
What can a person do? It's 
all like living in a ghost town 
where no information is 
passed unless money first 
changes hands  -  someone 
is paid to tell you about it 
all but only in the most 
approved fashion  -  bad 
information and propaganda 
for truth. All those years with
my father, for instance, making
the trips from Avenel to ocean
and inlets, and Sandy Hook too,
in order to fish, crab, or go to
where the 'bluefish' were running,
none of those trips ever brought
me this information; nor was 
I told about it. I had to find it
it all out on my own. Sandy Hook 
was actually 'Fort Hancock.' Yes, 
of course, there were endless 
jokes about 'this man's army' 
and Fort HandCock and all 
that  -  but it couldn't work 
that way now. People never 
did realize (and Mark and his 
wonder-babe (I'll call Oona, 
from Brooklyn by way of Israel),
another circus 'sword' swallower,
I bet) and myself, we discussed 
these points in depth, as I 
introduced all this 'historical' 
perspective of my own on them)  -
that there was a time, really was 
a time, when things were simple; 
when immediate points of view 
demanded a different intensity 
and length, when the actual 
defining description of Life 
and Land was different. 
This spit of sand we were 
on  -  maybe three miles 
long and a mile or so wide, 
I really didn't know  -  was 
once a vital connection to 
the land. People lived and 
died on these sands. The 
local Navesink Indians 
called it home  -  seasonal 
or not, but home. Everything 
was different. The entryway 
to the harbor was vital  -  
ocean, land, roadway, river. 
The geography was local 
and real  -  people once walked 
about, watched the horizon, 
looked for sail-ships and 
harbingers of arrival. Mark
and Oona were distant, almost
bug-eyed in vapor, and the 
other guys with me, they were
suspicious of this interloper, his
car, his 'girlfriend,' (ha) and their
behavior too. Just another one
of the weird outsiders I'd hooked
them up with. But, saddlebags
filled with beer and ice, as they 
were, the fine day moved on. 
It was like talking to a blind 
man  -  a stoned one. Mark 
and the girl were gone for a 
bit, exploring, while we'd 
parked the bikes at the old 
parade grounds and lighthouse
area and just drank beers, 
lounging around on the 
grass, tinkering with the 
bikes, whatever. They came
back, Mark saying they'd been
able to get into a few of the
empty gun emplacements and
look around (large, cavernous, 
beneath ground bunker-caves).
He said of course all they did was 
was fuck a while (this is true, I'm
not kidding) and he said it was 
a few times anyway, even 
if he was usually gay and 
sought out guys. (Again, this
is true, I'm not kidding). 
She was pretty cool, and, 
he stated, she 'enjoyed a 
good slamming' and they'd 
gotten high enough that 
nothing mattered anyway 
and it was all fun  -  she was 
just 'practicing' was how he'd 
put it. Really; it was like
being with William Burroughs
or something. And to Mark 
anyway nothing ever much 
mattered. One time he told 
me how the true sign of a 
'friend' was in how that 
purported 'friend' reacted 
when asked to 'go out back 
and have a smoke' and that's 
how he judged people  -  no 
matter what else the trust-factor 
of a good friendship or any 
friendship meant NOT saying 
no to such a request   -   
however that did pretty 
much seal my fate with him 
as far as that went. Smoking 
pot was never my thing. I 
never did see him much for 
years after that  -  for the 
one time I did finally just 
say a simple 'no' to him was, I
suppose, the one time he 
was standing judgment. Fact 
of the matter was that, after 
a time, I began to just find 
him annoying anyway and 
the less I was around him 
the better it was for me and 
my 'no' was more the result 
of simply not wishing his 
sole and undiluted company 
'out back' for even a minute. 
He, of course, misconstrued 
it all as a refusal to smoke 
with him  -  which was a 
secondary matter to me for 
sure and, screw him anyway. 
What I did miss was his
blazing, dark-featured Israeli 
beauty sidekick Oona or
whatever her name was. 
She I could have smoked 
for sure  -  I was intrigued 
and exhilarated by her 
far-emotive bearing, from 
somewhere else, some 
ancient, strange foreign 
dark land, as smoky and 
distant to me as that 
Latakia tobacco used 
to be  -  a pipe tobacco
blend, that was, from
Turkey or Iran.
-
About him, on the other 
hand, I just didn't really 
care; he somehow bugged
me, Mark did, and I had 
found a lot of his interests 
and phrasing annoying  -  
never shutting his trap 
and just running on about 
things when fueled with 
alcohol and the rest. The 
sort of character who 
demanded singular, 
one-on-one attention 
with a flippant veneer of
character-quality which 
drove me nuts and it 
became like 'why don't 
you just once shut the 
heck up because I simply 
cannot any longer hear 
you.' And he was all fake 
and stupid anyway  -  all 
caught up in those stupid 
cultural things-of-the-moment'
stuff I hated. TV names, movies. 
As it turned out, it all ran 
down anyway. Then, even, 
eventually, Ruda or Oona or 
whatever she too started 
getting on my nerves  -  
her manners nasty and 
cloying and I don't think 
she ever laughed or didn't 
take things not well  -  dead, 
stark serious like some 
foul black existential huff, 
sucking on cigarettes and 
the rest  -  funny how grace 
and quality can disappear 
so quickly. She was always a
bummer. Here it happened. 
In an instant it was all business 
and serious and dour, a sort-of 
excuse for otherwise doing 
nothing at all except what 
nothing wanted doing. The 
weirdest thing is that they 
(and us), ended up in a 
'beachfront' open-air sports 
bar in a certain hell-hole 
known as Keansburg, NJ 
(which has neither a 
beachfront nor a view, 
but is rather a blank spot 
on a really bad map that 
just looks out on a 
poor-man's waterway 
of the Raritan Bay). The 
low-income people there 
make do with it as their 
beachway. The only wave 
that place ever sees is 
when boats distantly go 
by and people wave, or 
when fat people jump 
into the bay for a swim, 
and I'd bet the fat people 
do a lot more  jumping in 
than the boats do passing by  
-  the place is rank and foul 
and infantile and disgusting, 
yet there they stayed an 
entire afternoon and into 
the late evening, drinking 
and smoking and staying 
high around some gross 
outdoor cabana-type thing 
with big TV screens blaring 
and bunches of knot-faced 
and probably inebriated 
locals from the town staggered 
stupidly along and by and 
in : the bar itself I forget 
the name but it's still there 
and seems as foul as ever  -  
nothing ever changes when 
it comes to these things. 
My biggest gripe was 
how someone would 
'cover' something, say,
like his 'biker weekend' 
in Jersey, by doing it from 
the rank confines of a series 
of sleazeball bars and 
encounters  -  all the while 
being high. No sense to me. 
I don't think either one of 
them has ever returned 
to follow up their coverage. 
Mark has just disappeared 
from my life  -  the article 
came out, it covered the 
things we, as bikers, had 
done with him and Oona 
or Ruda or whoever she 
was, portrayed me and 
us fairly enough, and 
seemed flip and hip 
about the NJ exploits, 
and was featured as first 
page, with an inside 
continuation. But, it
all missed a lot too. He 
never was an insider. I 
guess my time with him 
was over by then  -  the 
Big Apple Circus, in 
those earlier days, was 
out on the old dunes 
and sand-holes at the 
bottom west-side of 
Manhattan  -  yes, hard 
to believe now  -  all that 
area having long ago 
disappeared. In the 70's 
it was a crumbling elevated 
highway, with old buildings 
and trucks stops and 
weigh-stations along the 
way; then in the 80's it 
was all falling apart and 
was dismantled and the 
area suddenly seemed to 
return to nothing : a 
wild-west of vacated old 
buildings, empty, sandy 
areas, and a  long, open 
'beachfront' where no 
one really went. By the 
late 80's it was a sunbathing 
and play-space for the 
locals, gays, yuppies and 
performers. The Hudson 
River went running by. 
Now, forty years on 
again, it's all displaced 
by a long, riverside park 
and a thundering city  -  
Battery Park City  -  
million-dollar condos, 
restaurants, shops, 
schools, clubs and gyms. 
You'd never know it
now, but it was once a 
desolate spot  -  and 
one, in fact, I loved. 
On those dunes the 
Big Apple Circus would 
set up, practice and play.
-
The person I call Mark 
here, is still around, at least
online. He has two other
pseudonyms that I've seen,
and is now billed as an 'Occultist'.
And I do see another of his 'Jersey
tours' posted too from about 2004. 
I'll try and retrieve it. It's better than
our day together. Years have lapsed
now. I'm quiet and in Avenel. He's
an Occultist! Still out of jail, and,
I guess, still alive. I can mostly 
keep my mind and stay civil, 
but there are things which 
set me off just now and then. 
I try to remain far enough off 
from things so as not to be 
packaged emotionally or set 
to explode. Don't get me 
wrong, situations drive 
me crazy, and often, but 
I do not register them too 
much. I try to live at another 
realm, another level of 
'things'  -  which is probably 
the worst word in the 
world but used here 
nonetheless. He and I
were good bomb-throwers 
in our day  -  the early days
of knock-em-dead literary
pugilism. Now, it's all gone.
-----
PART TWO. Part 3, next chapter

No comments: