Saturday, August 4, 2018

11,038. RUDIMENTS pt. 396

RUDIMENTS pt. 396
Making Cars
The seminary stuff, and church
stuff in general, was pretty weird.
Like that whole thing about ladies
having to have their heads covered,
or, well, something on their heads,
to enter church. In each of the years
I was at the seminary, except for
visit days and special events (rare)
I never saw a female present. Not
even a nun. Not one. So that entire
stricture was pretty much out the
window. I couldn't ever figure it
out, on those special days, as I
mentioned, when females were
present. What was the big deal?
Some men still wore hats, and they
had to come off? What the heck
was that about? Medieval levels
of personal rank? Servitude? Who
cared, least of all God? If it was
a Mankind thing, OK, then get
over it. The whole thing seemed
so petty and stupid. The same God
who watches the birds of the air,
fish of the sea, and counted the hairs
on your head, he watched the human
hat situation too? Busy guy.
-
The other thing that really annoyed
me, and it was pretty slimy and
sickening too, was when these
stupid-ass priests and brothers would
take to the pulpit there in the little
chapel thing we had, which was
our 'church' for all the three times
a day stuff we had to do, and go
on about 'Holy Mother the church
was the Bride of Christ...' What
the hell? What were they, freaking
nut-cases all? Shut-in too long in
their cork-lined male confraternity?
I'd learned about allegory, metaphor,
analogy, and like simile too (joke)
but I guess they'd left out 'cockamamie
bullshit.' Made up concepts. Diatribes
of un-needed precision and logic.
And anyway, I found that anytime,
in the Gospels, that they came across
Jesus being a little strange, talking
weird  -  something that, in reality,
didn't fit the picture too well  -
they'd brush it off by saying, 'oh,
well, he was speaking in allegories
and parables,' and then they'd start
bashing his peasantry-audience for
being a bunch of stupid Aramaic
slobs and dumb fisherman who
didn't know any better and who
could only grasp stories and
parables. How were they any
different than the Sunday
morning fools back in Avenel
at St. Andrew's, I wanted to
know? Wasn't that a bit of
dis-respect and condescencion
to all those people you were
supposedly dependent upon for
Sunday-morning's collections
baskets?
-
Back up in that 9th line, at the
beginning of this chapter, I got
a chuckle  -  I wondered if any
of those priests and brothers,
who pretended to know it all
about sex and love and marriage,
had even an inkling of what the
female 'present' even was.
Gift-giving never had it
so good?
-
Everything took some getting
used to. Parts of my mind were
still stuck back in Avenel, right
along Inman Avenue where I
could still remember vividly
the cold, snowy Winter of '61
when the street had been covered
with a mantle of snow that was
pretty much never tended to and
did eventually melt and refreeze,
a few times, into a nice, solid
snow-pack of two or three inches
that remained for at least a week
in the cold. As kids, it became
day after day of solid snow-fun
on an ice and snow covered
street. The slow melting that
did take place began at the
manhole covers and sewer areas,
and ever-so-slowly, over the
course of a few days, spread out.
I can't remember cars at all, except
for the few, noisy, chain-tired cars
that occasionally slapped along.
That was all back when it seemed
that Time would never end, or that
it had was of just getting stuck
in an endless present. And it 
was all so strange as, later on, 
in talking, that that was the same
cold and snowy January that
one Bob Dylan arrived in NYC
with his cartload of fictions and
made-up stuff, or that it was the
same time as all those Maynard 
J. Krebs versions of beatnik
dopplegangers were wildy fading
and the scene was passing to
folkies, and that another scene
entire was a'borning. The times
they were far-ranging. I was 11,
and at the end of my kidhood 
days. All that change crap
was already in the air. People
were convincing each other, or
trying to anyway, that the big
'difference' was coming.
I had to be ready too.
-
I'd never had a scared-space, like
I learned, later on, many others had.
That took some money and privilege;
things I never possessed. Being poor
has its advantages, if you can manage
to step back and look away  -  just
gleaning and lessons and the values.
The rest of life is just mopping up.
Avenel had certainly never provided
me anything like that  -  in all respects
a rather one-dimensional, humdrum
place, made up  -  perhaps  -  of a few
characters amid two-thousand ordinary
stiffs. Growing up, it was all rather
tame, lame, and ordinary. Dreaming
of becoming a spy? They don't hire
out of Avenel. Once I lost it, whatever
it was  -  control, command, awareness  -
over my own life and my own being,
I'd just end up as one of them. And I
knew I'd sworn off, against any and
all, of that. Where I was going, I
was never sure. I knew where I was,
and stupidly I realized that 'where
I was' wasn't where I wanted to 
remain. The whole calculus had
to begin spinning once more,
turning things around and
over, re-negogiating what was
fact, what was real, and
what was false.


No comments: