Saturday, August 18, 2018

11,082. RUDIMENTS, pt. 412

RUDIMENTS, pt. 412
(an avenel lesson)
It never took me long to learn
things. I mixed right in real well:
Quick on the draw, glib, a character,
elusive too. I never let anyone pin
me down. Like in the Avenel
schoolyard once, where there
used to be an open passageway
between Schools 4 and 5 (it's
long ago been closed over with a
covered shelter-way, and you can
no longer get through) that Mr.
Lund guy, the principal back
then  -  he nabbed me one day,
right there in that open space
between the schools, for throwing
snowballs. It was in the midst of one
of those intense friend-kids recess
snowball fights, but we had been
bombing people indiscriminately.
He hauled me over and asked if
I'd been 'throwing snowballs.' Of
course I had, but I wasn't about
to tell him  -  let him ferret out his
own information, if he was such a
big deal. Of course, I had a quality
snowball in my hand at the time.
I put both hands behind my back.
The one thing I'd already learned
was that applying pressure to matter
energizes the atoms, which then,
in their new activation, produce
heat, which heat, in that activation,
then would melt a snowball. So with
my gloved hands I pressed real hard
on the snowball while he went on
(never asking to see my hands),
and managed to have it dissipate
while he was still babbling his
teacher-principal spiel at me, and
that then allowed me to 'produce'
my hands, without a snowball
in them and without him having
seen a  snowball drop to the
ground. My internal 'all-clear'
sounded and that fool was none
the wiser for all his cackle. As a
young kid, I'd absorbed all my
lessons pretty well and the one 
determinate of this 'snowball'
action was based on the conclusion
that, for the most part, adults 
didn't know a thing about any 
matters-at-hand except for 
control and manipulation. So
he was easy for me, and presented
really no intimidation at all. And,
besides, what adult would allow
themselves to approach a kid in
that fashion  -  blatantly asking
them to self-incriminate?
-
I'd taken my measure of things all
around me, and they'd really come
up wanting. So I decided on a role
to assume, and that role I played,
and went through all this with.
The only hang-up, and one which
really bagged me good, was the
intense physical collapse of all
this, which did eventually cause me
to collapse. I was like totally sick,
out-of-it, for a number of days
and finally, in lieu of having others
have me dragged to St. Luke's (the
old hospital that once serviced
Greenwich Village), my father and
a friend came and dragged me out.
All I can remember from that is
a delirious ride home on my
back in the rear seat of his 1960
Chevy Station Wagon. The rest
right now is un-remembered  -  but
I did recover and got back at it,
promising I'd take 'better care of
myself' and eat like a human.
-
I can now only remember those
days in fragments of writing, the
small bits and pieces of things 
I'd pick up along the way  -  'The
Joyous Disease - charging restless
mute unvoiced road keening in
a seizure of tarpaulin power.'
That about sums me all up. 
-
The thing was, I mingled with
everyone; which was kind of
cool. I could ride the subway
uptown, looking like a slouch,
some out of touch artist bum,
and get up to the Fuller Building,
at 57th and Lex., wherever it was
- 5 solid floors, back then, of
class A art galleries, get off the
elevator, and mingle like the rich
among all the art schmoozers. Or,
a few blocks away, at another
corner, some building above
Bergdorf Goodman's, as I recall,
right by the Plaza Hotel, and
do the same thing there. Layers
of rich people, day-wives with
jewels and binoculars, swishing
around looking at an Arp for the
living room, or a Picasso for the
dining chamber, all that crap. No
one here was hurting about
anything, 'cept maybe a leak
in the yacht. And they weren't
even the really, really rich. Those
people would have agents out,
buying for them, or scanning the
art-auction houses and placing
enter bids and threshold bids
from the catalogues or in-person
viewings. Yeah, like some
bizarre funeral home. I always
fantasized about some filthy-rich
person ambling about, looking
for a schmuck artist to subsidize,
take on as a patron, send 7 grand
a month to just to make and produce
art. Never happened, and not even
one of those rich babes out for the
day ever asked me to go home with
them for an 'afternoon tea', like
the sleazy storybooks had it,
happening all the day, everyday,
every afternoon at 2pm. 'Horny
rich housewife boffs new and
upcoming artist on speculation
of future merit as an artist.'
Talk about misplaced faith.
Too bad.
-
Years later, what astounded me
was how motorcycle guys, Bikers,
when I got involved with them, a
lot of them fell for the very bizarre
practice of a yearly 'Bike Blessing.'
Like those people with their kittens 
and ducks on old Polish St. Marks.
Pretty much the me thing as those
old food and pets people; a remnant
of some medieval, quaint custom 
from the Vatican hierarchy in Rome. 
Selling indulgences, anyone? I
wonder, did the Teutonic Knights
have Father Jimeny Althazar bless
yearly their horses? Strange world.
I was free, or free enough, yes, and
determined to stay that way. Plus,
sort of, you can't step backwards
too easily when you cut loose the 
rope bridge over which you've just
crossed the hellish chasm.
-
What later did it for me, as well,
was the idea of thinking about 
home. Was someone like me 
supposed to 'miss' home? I 
couldn't tell, because I sure 
didn't  -  yet there was, I admit,
always a hole, a spot to be filled  -
maybe that's the spot that the 
creative spirit, the artist or the
writer of whatever trait, is 
always  trying to fill and it 
just gets called 'Home.' Maybe
that's the crazy, nutcase push
for the edges that always has
kept me working and moving 
along. It can't be helped, and
it can't be rued. It just is, and
I accept.

No comments: