Thursday, August 16, 2018

11,077. RUDIMENTS, pt. 410

RUDIMENTS, pt. 410
(avenel boys, coming home)
It was kind of a torturous time :
highwire walking, between
definitions, ideas in turmoil.
The sniff of the Vietnam war
was around, hitting Avenel
too. Every so often someone
would go  -  little said. There
became a certain age threshold
when males just sort of looked
at each other and shrugged. LBJ
seemed always on TV, hemming
or hawing about something or
other. Gulf of Tonkin (a complete
and made-up sham to induce
som further war moves). What
had started out as advisors
soon became soldiers. Some
homes in Avenel had sons
moving out, and they played it
happy  -  proud to give our son.
All that stuff. Body counts, nightly.
The stories began filtering back,
about the sham and the lies. Any
number of guys, with the draft
looming, just enlisted instead.
The times of service differed,
whether you were drafted or
enlisted, but I forget what they
were. The Elks Club, in Woodbridge,
kept pumping up the war, with
essay contests and patriotism crap.
One after the other. They were still
in their old hall; not the large one
now on Rahway Ave. The year
was 1966. My friend Jack, over
on Minna Ave., a sort of a nutcase
anyway, he enlisted  -  as a Medic,
since he'd claimed he wanted to
be a brain surgeon as a career.
He just liked blood and guts.
And then he re-upped again. He
got placed in the upper highlands,
with a bunch of Montngards, and
he really actually liked it all  - the
gore and the people. They were
local 'Vietnamese' (though they
wouldn't say that) hill people who
made amulets and small statuettes
and things. A little weird, Jack
brought some things back with
him. They were like Holy Grail  -
worn around his neck and stuff,
he claimed they saved his life.
Jack was an orphan of sorts, and
had been raised, on Minna, by his
grandparents. We'd go visit them
from time to time  -  me and my
girlfriend. The two grandparents
were really old world, immigrants,
difficult to understand; the guy
was super quiet and reserved
and the lady, round and small
as a speed bump, never shut
up, in that heavy Austrian
or whatever it was, accent.
We'd always have to see all
her tomato plants, out in the
summer yard; she grew a zillion
things. The house was neat as
a pin, quiet, reserved, as if
untouched. Jack's room was
kept exact, and I sort of got the
idea that they prayed their brains
out every day so he'd stay alive.
-
I never got that war, never dug a
minute of any of it; it was all
bullshit and I sure wasn't sacrificing
my lambskin for any of that crap.
It was a stupid, old-mans' war  -
all their issues, all their lives. All
our blood and guts. I used to go
along Minna Avenue, and realize
how much I hated that block too,
as much as any other  -  there
wasn't anything around there to
fight and die for. Nor to defend,
just a bunch of the usual crap  -
'64 Oldsmobiles and ratty old Buicks
still wired up. The only cool thing
around, maybe, was Miller's used
Lumber Yard. It was on one of those
streets  -  some crazy old guy had
like two extra lots (they're all built
on now) and he kept a used-lumber
yard going there for years. Maybe
you've never seen a used-lumber
yard? Think curlicue corn chips or
think twisted and nail-holed old
gray lumber, broken down boards
and molding half painted. And think
of that all scattered and stacked
around two empty lots in the midst
of a collection of otherwise quite
suburban homes and drives. One of
those streets around there, Remsen
or Minna, I can't remember, and
when I got there now sometimes,
I can't recognize shit. I can find
my way better around the
Whitney Museum or the Museum
of Modern Art, and blindfolded
too, than I can find anything
in Avenel now. It's all been
claimed by crooks and midgets,
and no one cares. And old man
man Miller's dead and his place
is gone. So are Jack's grandparents.
Jack's somewhere down in deep
Florida, and I haven't heard from
him since. He lived on the last
street in Colonia, called Rahway
Road, right by the Parkway and
Clark too. It's a weird dead-end
street that collides into the Parkway
Wall  -  traffic always buzzing,
no where really to even turn
around.
-
Jack Manick was quite the guy.
His neighbor on Rahway Road,
(don't mix it up with Rahway
Ave., that's another place entire)
was the Iremonger family.
(Now this gets complicated,
so listen up)  -  Tom Iremonger
and I were alphabetical partners
in Woodbridge High School
home room. He was always
right  behind me. It was all
bad luck. Third to us was
Mike Kantor. He got killed,
Spring of that year, down the
shore somewhere when his
or someone's surfboard spun
out in high-speed surf and
blasted him right in the head.
Dead man Mike. So they
dedicated the yearbook
to him. Worse, for me, or
better, this same yearbook,
thanks to some freaky geek
on class-staff, had the photos
of me and Tom Iremonger
switched. So, for all eternity
now, Class of '67, I'm him
and he's me, by photos anyway.
My English teacher lady that
last year, a total, freaky pest,
she had one over for me on
that, sarcastically saying to
me : 'You've wanted to be
invisible and in complete
anonymity all year anyway.
Now you've got it and I
hope you're satisfied.' What
bothered all those teacher
types the most was that it
didn't bother me at all,
being switched. I couldn't
have cared less, and that's
honest. I never even bought
the yearbook, though I think
my sister bought one with
money my really annoyed
mother gave her.
-
The other weird connection too?
Tom Iremonger is also dead.
Not me, now, although I'm
supposed to be him, by these
rights, and he's living on as me,
but the real Tom, he got killed
about 8 years later, taking a turn
too low and tight (and fast) on
a motorcycle and 'swanking'
his head  -  while leaning too
low and too close to the curb  -
right on a telephone pole at
the side of the road. Dead
meat central. Uh oh. That's
two, yearbook dudes; isn't
that crap supposed to run in
threes?
-
Jack Manick wrote a self-published
book about his Vietnam time; both
a hardcover version, and a soft
too. He paid 700 bucks too for a 
booth one year at the Jacob Javits
Convention center Book Fair  - a
trade show for publishing industry
matters. He did a few military
veterans type shows and interviews
too. I don't know what he sold
or got from it all, but that was 
about 2009. I'm in the book. He
wrote me up, under an old nickname
he used on me, 'Fields.' He came
home in a blinding snowstorm,
on a plane that seemed to be
ready to crash. He made it back,
freezing while awaiting us at
JFK airport, to pick him up. We
were lost, couldn't see a thing in
the snow. My '57 Jaguar, at that
point running fine, like a bear,
had poor lighting, bad snow
control, and, to make matters 
worse, no heat. Here, I'l let
Jack tell you, page 209 :
"Within minutes, my body
began to shake uncontrollably.
The first stages of hypothermia
were setting in. I was just about
to turn around and head back
to the terminal when a set of
headlights approached and 
stopped nearby. It was them!
'Hey Ace!' (Fields called me
Ace). 'Good to see you, Ace.'
I replied in a rather shaky
voice, 'You too.' I was looking
forward to the warmth inside
the car. As the door closed,
I got a handshake  from Fields
and a kiss from Kathy. Within 
seconds I noticed I could see
my breath inside the car. 'Hey
Fields,' I said loudly, 'turn up
the heat; I'm freezing.' 'The
heater doesn't work, Ace,'
Fields replied."





No comments: