Monday, August 20, 2018

11,087. RUDIMENTS, pt. 414

RUDIMENTS, pt. 414
(inman avenue at home)
Relating this initial arrival
and moving-in stuff puts
me on a run-track. I wonder
how many kids, and what
difference it makes, if any,
how many have just lived
where they were born and
that was that? For me, and
my near-age sister I guess
too, not knowing if she ever
sensed these things, the
move we made was a great
divide, crossing from one
sort of life-being to another.
Maybe it happens to lots, but
it's the sort of thing that has
always had great effect on me;
quirky as I am about noticing
and feeling things. I had been
born, and existed early-on, in
a supple, small-urban situation
that I'd just begun accommodating
and taking on the traits of. It
was nothing really at all, the
'urb' of Bayonne is really just
run-down, way past its prime,
hacking and crowded. Nowhere
you'd really want to be, but, to
even my 4-year old self, hanging
their on the waterfront edge of
the Kill Van Kull (the NY Harbor
waterway) with all that barge and
tug and ship traffic, ferries and,
a half-mile across the water, the
dastardly backside of Staten
Island too  -  boat repair yards,
tug terminals, and  -  above it
all and right over my head  - 
the graceful arc of the Bayonne
Bridge, it was all really quite
spectacular. One could never 
make this up; it was a smoky 
Gershwin back-tune to the 
darker business of life. 
Remember, everything
great and glorious always 
has an ass-end, a rear-side 
much less glorious and, 
more often than not, seldom
seen. Remember too, from
Bayonne, looking out into 
the harbor, what you saw 
was the backside of the
Statue of Liberty. I guess
someone has to. I was 
all eyes and ears too, 
and ready to accept. Poof!
Then it was gone and I
one day just ended up in a 
trenched out corner of 
nowhere, chopped and 
damaged land all around 
me, sickening groups of 
new box-houses soon 
filling  up with weird 
nomads each ready to 
end their nomadic ways.
Hello Avenel. Goodbye 
Bayonne?
-
Sometimes you need to ask
yourself, 'what have I earned?'
It always seemed to me that all
I ever earned was silence and
distance. Not a problem though,
because that was fine with me.
In Camp Cowaw I'd run a fine,
laid-out, hard-top mile a day for
6 days straight and earned a
'Running' Merit Badge. That
was such a bland, conceptual
name for it that I was almost
ashamed to show it. What sort
of term is 'Running' for an
achievement? Like getting one
that said 'Breathing' or 'Eating'
or  -  worse of all  -  'Being.'
Pretty stupid, but then again if
they'd had a merit badge for
'Stupidity,' I'd have probably
gotten that too. I guess life is
like that  -  it runs steady, here
and there hits a high point,
blows out a little, and then,
eventually, you're just out of
breath (literally) and the race
or long run is over.
-
Along Inman Avenue, two
more things stand out, for right
now anyway  - I'm sure more
will hit me. The first one was
this guy named I. Mike Cohen.
He was an insurance agent, for
Metropolitan or something, and
early on, say 1957, he must have
been assigned these newly 
developed homes and streets.
I'm guessing, maybe 200 homes,
and the requisite people and
family numbers  - each one a
policy of some sort  -  life 
insurance, whatever  -  just 
waiting to happen. Probably a
mental goldmine, if not a real 
one. And there probably were 
others too, never seen by me.
This door-to-door canvassing
eventually, for I. Mike Cohen,
(which I always thought was 
the coolest, yet strangest, 
sort of name in the world. It
was almost factually strong,
and direct, I guess for Isadore
or Isaac or something), turned
into door-to-door collecting.
Remember, these were young
parents, new homes, etc., so I
guess perhaps the idea of checks
or automatic payments and things
hadn't gotten established. He'd
walk the streets with this thick,
softly black-leather-covered
account book, and go to each
of his account houses, mine
included, for picking up his
cash payments. Just as if he
was a paper-boy, he'd knock 
for his monthly nine dollars,
or whatever it may have been,
and leave behind a little payment
receipt stub. He kind of looked
like an undertaker or something  -
seriously dressed, black suit,
leather shows, tie, etc, very
dour and somber about it all.
I was surprised, years later too,
when I found out he was still
around, yes, and these policies
were still in effect and being
paid on. The eventual deaths
of both my parents finally did
get some payback  -  my widowed
mother first, and then after she
died, some sort of check too,
not much, divided by the five 
of us. I don't know whatever
the end-up of it all was for
I. Mike Cohen.
-
The other thing was, as I 
mentioned in the previous
chapter, about gazing at 
the stars from my yard, 
using the few large trees 
as referents for celestial 
placements, how I used to
stand there in some sort
of 1956 kid wonder, two 
years on in a rugged new 
location, and staring up at 
the stars and  wondering 
about them : Were they
fiery cauldrons? Were they
flinging themselves through 
the heavens, right then, as 
I gazed? What was fixed? 
What was in motion? How 
were we falling  through space 
and not knowing it because 
everything else was falling 
with us? Were we settled
and in place? Were we not?
My own questions were 
endless, counted on a 
hundred hands and fingers,
if I'd had them. What was
going on and what was I 
mixed up in? How'd I get 
it all here, and why? And 
then, one day, another sort
of thought hit me  -  about
all those old and ancient men
  - cave-guys, cave-people? 
How  far back was all that? 
How did  anyone know, and 
how could  anyone be sure? 
And anyway, what did it 
have to do with me? There
I was, looking up, and
completely solo, into a 
dead, black night sky. I 
thought to myself what 
forces those guys could
have ever seen that would
have propelled them into 
the reveries of their own 
by which cultures and 
stories grew. The three
fiercest things, I figured,
they ever saw, in the normal
run of things anyway, were 
fire, wind and rain, and water. 
In each case the most extreme 
form of each. That's what 
they had to figure out 'Life' 
by? Maybe the occasional 
sabre-toothed tiger that
stole their baby and had a
snack of it? What the heck 
did any of that have to do 
with anything? There was
nothing internal? Greater than
any of that? Heck, nothing
ETERNAL? What were they
trying to sell me? For sure, 
what did it have to do with 
I. Mike Cohen traipsing 
the street for a few dollars 
to collect on the promise
of some future pay-out at
the time of death? Huh? 
Come again? Arthur Kill? 
Kill Van Kull? Inman Ave? 
What the Hell?










No comments: