Tuesday, July 31, 2018

11,033. RUDIMENTS, pt. 393

RUDIMENTS, pt. 393
(on your church-knees, avenel)
There wasn't a great deal of
excitement to ever tell about
at the seminary. And believe
you me it wouldn't have taken
much. Most every moment
was controlled and set out, so
that not could happen. There
was always laundry day. (See
what I mean about excitement).
One day a week, I think it was,
a laundry service truck would
show up. Each kid had to
have readied a laundry bag
of dirty laundry to give to the
laundry guy. So, we never
handled the clothes per se, 
just the laundry bags; and I got 
involved too in the 'laundry 
crew,' but whatever day of the
week, or every-other week, I
forget, we'd get about 120
laundry bags full of laundry
and we'd fling them down the
open area of the stairwells  -
The ones where you could
look right down, like in the
old movies, and see all the
stairs. By the time we were
done, of course, there'd be
a huge pile of soft, landing
area, laundry bags just sitting
there like a big cushion. So,
yeah, we'd jump. I don't how
no one ever died, but I think
there was a broken arm, or
two. Some guy named Don, a
first-year guy, who was soon
gone. Gone Don, in fact. Yes,
some people didn't last long,
for various reasons  -  we had
the homesick, the weak, and
the too-nasty. Not everyone's
presence there worked out.
We never had the lovesick,
but  - wouldn't you know  -
the year after I left I was told
they somehow began having
girls on campus (beats me why
that would be, but whatever).
I heard stories of one or two
guys getting the boot then, over
'love matters,' let's call it.
My damned luck again.
-
When the laundry bags came
back, the drudgery of the unload
and distribution bore no fun or
resemblance to the outgoing
process. Our building anyway, 
which is all we covered. Some 
guys, get this, even did the 
dry-cleaning route. We'd
get their little, fussy, shirt
boxes back. The whole idea
was to have a money-draw
bank account in your name.
There was actually an office
room with a service window
referred to as 'The Bank' and
some chubby little monk guy
in there as the official Banker.
Brother Bucks, I called him.
I did all I could to to try and
keep 20 or 30 bucks in there,
except for textbook time,
when the home-folks would
have to send a hundred and
fifty or so. Some kids though,
they were rolling in money; 
no second thought ever given 
to the vending machine fiesta 
of candy, ice cream soda, 
and all the rest. Including 'dry
cleaning,' I suppose. One of the 
more well-used areas and 
popular too was the 'canteen'  
-  stupid name  -  which was 
a group of vending machines
with tons of junk to be had.
First year out, I remember a
chubby guy named Peter
Flaherty spending a majority
of his time right there.
-
As I remember Gone Don now,
I seem to remember his last name
as Czatkowski, from South Amboy.
Not that it means anything here,
like 60 years later. He kind of
stood out though; like a rifleman
in a roomful of people knitting.
-
Back in Avenel, my mother and
my aunt were  'overjoyed' when
I selected this seminary line of
work. I think they felt an instant
holiness of their own and a free
gate-pass to Heaven by having
a 'kin' in the priesthood; not that
it was ever going to happen. My
father was instantly suspicious
and morosely dejected, that his
spineless son wasn't going to
carry on the family name, (I
suppose that was to mean
impregnating some lassie,
which I ended up doing
anyway, and eventually.
So, the cracker, broken
in the middle, turned
out equal on both ends.
[What the heck does any
of that mean, Mr. Author?]).
To my father it was pretty
much alike to losing the
first-born to some weird
superstition. Then we
switched, years later, as
he turned out all churchy
and I'd walked away from
a burning  ship named
McCarrick. so, whatever
any of it all means, there
you have it. I try not to
dwell on it because, really,
my life has not been defined
by it, yet its presence is
curiously reflected in the
background of many of
the things I do. Conversely,
the minute I left that joint 
and entered my 'next' life 
chapter, it was always 
anchors aweigh and no
looking back.
-
The sanctimonious piety 
of Avenel was a bit 
disconcerting, mostly
because I realized right
off, in an immediate manner,
that it was poor-people piety.
Serfs and slaves, the kind
you'd find at the hired-hands
and indentured servants section
of any old Southern farm.
Avenel just didn't know any
better, and neither did I!
I had fallen right into the trap
I detested. My mother and aunt
sewed a hundred plus name-tags
into each stupid bit of clothing
I was taking with me (it was all
required  -  for the laundry-service
purposes I've just mentioned),
yet it was done joyously, by
them, while it seemed laughable
to me. I was ring-leader of a farce.
There was an entire sort of gayness
factor, I can see now, which was
not public profile in 1961. The
requirements included, with
name tags on any cloth item,
a napkin ring, and 12 cloth
napkins. Excuse my 12-year 
old French, but what the
'putain' was a napkin ring?
That was my first reaction.
The entire napkin and ring
thing was beyond my 
comprehension and what
it had to do with anything
was beyond me. It certainly
seemed to have nothing to
do with God, Salvation, or
the afterlife. Just a fussy,
damned napkin ring. I
should have seen these 
shitheads coming. Avenel,
AND Blackwood.





No comments: