Tuesday, July 10, 2018

10,966. RUDIMENTS, pt. 372

RUDIMENTS, pt. 372
(avenel academy, stella, and jack)
I was born weird. I grew up
weird, and I thought weird too,
from the very beginning. There
wasn't ever enough 'space' for me,
so I kept up dreaming more. (For
the sticklers among you, 'weirdly'
works here too, though in this case
it doesn't cover the same ground
as 'weird'). Being born 'weirdly,'
would mean like with maybe a
crane or a jack-hammer (adverb).
But, no, I was born, in that respect,
quite normally, up at Bayonne.
General Hospital, home of 
'half-price Tuesdays.' OK, just
kidding. The world never suited
my flavor, and my 'flavor' never
made the list of the world's
ingredients anyway. It took me
a fairly long time to learn that
and to navigate the distance, but
I finally managed the mesh.
-
Do you want to know how I 
know the world is ugly  -  and,
let me add, mean and distasteful?
The ancient Greeks said that for
something to be beautiful it must
also be sensible. Well, there you
have it. There's nothing sensible
around here.
-
It was Sandy Werfel (previous
chapter) who one day showed me
what he called the archaic basis
of lettering. It was part of one of
those 'visits' I was telling about,
when we'd apt to be talking about
anything at all  -  as he put it, per
the ancient Romans, with all their
numerals and 'C''s and 'X's. He
said, if I could visualize, say, the
word, 'carnival'  -  chosen randomly.
Note the difference between the
letter-spacing of the a to the r, and
then, say, the i to the v. The average
Joe, in laying out that word, would
have it all mis-spaced and almost
looking like car niv al by the 
mis-spacing inherent. In the
view of an old Roman stonecutter,
if you were to take paint and paint
between the letters, as properly laid
out it should take the same 'volume' of
paint to fill the space between each
of the letters. That would elongate
the word a bit, to accommodate that
space between the i to the v, and
the tightness of the r to the n. None
of which should be  -  it should all
look as one, evenly spaced composite;
nothing jammed together, nor wide
apart either. The 'eye' makes that
leap for itself, and the artist, through
an innate sense of, perhaps, balance 
or tension, runs parallel with it.
-
That was a lot of granular information
to take in on 'Avenel' Street, for sure;
but it was darned sure some magnificent
transfer of knowledge, a great way
of learning.  It too was almost archaic 
to me, a school of thought and logic 
presented in a roving format. I always
wished for  -  right across the street  -  
at the festering wreck in its long,
slow decline, of the General 
Dynamics building and campus, for
someone who was not a nitwit to
have deemed it equally important,
once it first closed up, instead of 
letting it go derelict and crumble, 
and fester for 30 years, and then
fall to their devious machinations of
corruption, payoff, circular contracts,
and sleaze, to have had instead the
testicular fortitude (we get little of
that either, in Town Hall) to have
investigated the wonderful possibilities
inherent in that campus-format, with 
its tower and buildings, for a small
college or school of higher learning
from which 'Avenel' would grow its
small seed as a learning center, 
instead of as a base only for the
most crass and most limiting
commercial factors. We had the
spot, the physical plant, and a great
opportunity for an Academy. All
these cretins out to make their stolen 
buck, they could have stolen it from
a project like that just the same, but
at least they would have then been
advancing a 'cause'  -  the same
cause they now only pretend to 
be advancing with their riotous
superfluity over foolish ideas of
kiddie-art, festival and stage
illusions. Trouble is, as I put it,
they hadn't neither the wisdom
nor the balls to do something
outlandish. Looking down the
magic tunnel, from 1985, at
Sanford Werfel studios, right 
across the street, I had a good
feel for what I envisioned. I'd 
even gotten my artist friend 
Dave McGrath a job there  -  
at Werfel's  -  just by interceding
for him. It was the beginning of
a great idea, but none of us had
resources. Do you know how
it's said 'you can't get blood
from a turnip'  -  well, as baffling
as that crazy phrase always was
to me, I knew at the same time
that you can't get it from a
mercenary either.
-
All my time at St. George Press
showed me how this town was
run by mercenaries, and only
by  -  men out to make a buck,
bury something beneath a false
platitude, so they could take it
when no one was looking. All
the time I had that job, I heard
so much dirt and corrupt
information, and from all sorts 
of different people doing the
telling too  -  Fire Chief Dwyer
and all those installation programs
each year, before he retired away
to Port St. Lucie, or Port Richie,
whichever it was, in Florida. The
ridiculous shenanigans of Mayor,
after being Sheriff, DeMarino
- basic insider slug - and my best
friend of all, Larry Campion, at 
the Independent Leader, over in
Woodbridge by where the Quick 
Chek is now  -  a grand, proud
building, torn down like the rest.
For a parking lot, now a shit-hole.
I'm telling you, again, Larry knew
where every body was buried, even
the ones then still living. But, there
was little room either for learning,
good thought, or reflection. They
lived and lied, and lied as they
lived; and they still do. It was 
Montaigne (anyone know who 
that is? He kept an office at
the Rahway Avenue end of 
Avenel Street, right next to
Stella & Jack's), who said :
"Lying is an accursed vice. It
is only our words which bind us
together and make us human. If
we realize the horror and weight
of lying, we would see that it is
more worthy of the stake than
other crimes....Once let the
tongue acquire the habit of
lying and it is astonishing how
impossible it is to make it 
give it up."
-
So, if maybe you can get an inkling
of how I felt, even back in '67,
finally leaving that God-forsaken
reverse Robin-Hood woods to
land on my feet in New York City
than perhaps you'll also get the feel
 for the space and happiness that
 knowledge and and real learning
meant.  There was little in common
between the two places, and that
was just the way I liked it. I had
so many things to square away and
get straight in my head that it almost
took those 12 years or so to get me
back to Avenel Street again so as
to see what I'd been missing. 
You start learning how to paint 
portrait, and it becomes the 
strangest thing in the world  -  
you just continually keep
painting that same portrait,
of yourself, over and over 
and more.

No comments: