Wednesday, July 4, 2018

10,947. RUDIMENTS, pt. 366

RUDIMENTS, pt. 366
(avenel's 'hidden' secrets and motives)
A lot of years have gone by
now, and I'm back here again.
It's pretty fruitless to try and
figure why, or at least I think
it is. Some people fly allover
the world doing whatever it is
they choose and landing
wherever it is they wish. To
live or stay or just visit. Money
and happiness seem to follow
them, or even get there first.
Pilot licenses, cruise-ships,
15-nation tours. When I was
a kid, I always said all I wanted
out of this life was a cave, a
place to stay to get my work
done and be left alone. I sort
of, at least, achieved that, but
it was tricky. You know how
maybe one part of you thinks
you're going to get it right,
become rich and famous,
revered and spoken off, and
then that other part of you  -
a much larger part  -  just
starts laughing, and it's AT
you, not WITH you, as that
told routine goes. That how
it was with me. A complete
flame-out, one staggering
crash-land, with debris all
around me. BUT! Only on
that count, the count of
achievement and physical
stuff. Other than that, I've
got it made and I'm a
millionaire.  I'm drowning
in words and ideas;  in fact
my boat can't handle all
I throw in it. Below the
water-line, everything
swarms, everything schools.
I'm late for the party now,
so it no longer much matters,
which allows me the form
of switch-blade courage of
which I take such advantage.
I no longer have to care what
anyone thinks of what I say,
by writing. One thing about
writing  -  it's all yours.
-
Referring back to that bakery
for a minute, I used to walk
there most every day for the
job. Early morning, like
6:30 or something. Walking
Avenel Street had its certain
charm; not much, but some.
The little pointed row-houses,
some duplex and some single,
that line the lower portion of
the roadway, are built very
close, and all alike. In certain
morning lights it was an
almost-stunning sight, seeing
all those gabled, close-together
and foreshortened points and
peaks. At that time, I was
heavy into Bosch and Bruegel,
Flemish and Dutch painters
of singular character each.
These jammed-in row houses
somehow always gave me that
feel, as if I was somewhere else,
walking some bizarre Dutch
landscape  -  it was like tripping,
but I'd had no drugs at all. I'd
expect Icarus to be falling out
of the sky, landing nearby me;
weird flame-headed creatures
and distorted animals to be
scrounging along the ground,
things with no eyes, maimed
critters and broken people.
-
I couldn't make any of this
work. Between NYCity and
my presence in Avenel, when
it was  - and as back and forth
as it was  -  I ended up getting
nothing from either place,
really. So I just quit the one
-  the Avenel one. It was
like when you're on a
battlefield, and there are
wounded and dead all
around you and the medics
go by performing their triage;
color-coding or marking up
the immediate needs of those
with life/death situations,
or the less-serious wounded,
or the dead, or those who will
die anyway. They mark up
the sequence of who gets what
care, if any. That's how it went
for me, and I color-coded Avenel
as dead; no urgency required.
But beyond that, it had become
so grueling and confining that
I could no longer understand
how anyone could stay there.
I never saw anyone  -  or if I
did I never communicated  -
but I had old kid-chums and
school-friends who were just
around, busy with their stuff.
Some few went away, to college.
(Others faked it, just claiming
they did). And others just
truncated everything, and began
installing aluminum siding, or
workers as plumbers of clerks.
That kind of happiness hadn't
happened for me. I had to go.
-
I learned years later, in Elmira,
when my wife began working
there (too) with retarded kids,
low-grade schooling and such,
that there was such a thing as
(what was called in the 'retard'
industry) 'patterning.' All it 
meant was that once the kids 
fit certain qualifications, they're 
admittedly so bad-off that they 
are basically unteachable; so 
instead of trying to 'teach' things
to them  -  which would all be to
no avail  -  you find them tasks,
and impart to them ways of
doing a procedure ('patterning')
that they'd do all day long, 
without blinking. As an 
example : say Goodwill 
Industries makes a deal locally 
with the special-school. 'We'll 
supply you three crates of used
shoes a week, (say, 1000 pairs 
of shoes), and your people will
unlace each, and replace with 
new laces.' So, the school gets
the  contract, and the shoes 
and laces start rolling in.
All these 'patterned' kids 
set to work, increasingly, 
replacing a billion shoes, with
the occasional break for staring
endlessly at the trucks as they
enter or leave, or babbling
in place, about this or that.
Everything is considered
wonderful, no matter what 
it is. I realized that was, in
essence, exactly like Avenel
and exactly how the people
all around it, almost everywhere, 
lived. It was the kind of place
where status did not exist, and
everyone instead kept heads-down,
mouth-running rhythms of
non-critical living going at all
times. And most of it had
about the same sort of essential
usefulness as changing all
those shoe-laces had in its
reference to the shoe-world.
If patterning had not existed.
someone here would have 
invented it.
-
Clearly, one last point should
be made. Reasonable people 
would say I was right in not 
wishing to use that militant cop's
name in the previous chapter.
I agree. Lest there be a 
disagreement, part of the
military and marine bearing
that becomes one's makeup,
is always present, and I know 
that. Little can be done to change
the ways cops often use the 'Law'
to undertake their own personality
traits and glitches, in this case
a real hatred of free-spirits. Yes.
-
Hey! I just realized a key here :
The first letter of each word in
those above sentences seem like
they will give out a name. Hmmm?
I bear the fine man, of course, no 
ill-will, and I always wish his  
children good things and for
all times. It's just a memory, and 
just a place that once was.






No comments: