Tuesday, July 3, 2018

10,944. OPENING THE HOUSE

OPENING THE HOUSE
There's an ice sculpture indoors;
some guy on a busy horse. 'How
long do they think that will last?'
Joey says. I answer, facetiously,
'Until the next ice age, I suppose. 
But they'll never see it because
the seas are rising and first we've
got to get through all that, and 
then the dinosaurs will be coming 
back, and we'll need to wait that 
out. Could be a long time, I think.'
-
The black guy who'd been listening
says to me, 'Heckel and Jeckel
couldn't have said it better.' I said,
'What do you know about them? 
Aren't Amos & Andy more your 
speed.' I shouldn't have said that,
it came out all wrong, and the guy
floored me with a punch. Or punched
me to the floor, whatever. I was
so rattled I couldn't think any more.
-
In my bloodied-lips pain all I did
was check my teeth. Nothing was
broken or any of that. But I figured
to leave. I noticed they were now
watching the window. Some guy on
the fire escape was setting up a Weber. 
I didn't know if that was even legal,
but I just mumbled, 'Whatever.'

No comments: