Friday, July 6, 2018

10,953. RUDIMENTS, pt 368

RUDIMENTS, pt. 368
(avenel's press passes)
A lot of the dealings within
life are about sensitivity. There
are things from my younger days,
even teen and young adult, that,
when I look back now, are seen
in a completely different way  -
and only because of the' societal'
sensitivities that went into it. Like
cigarette smoke. There was a time
when the entire everyday world
was a haze of the gray, stinking
cloud of cigarette smoke and
odor. People ate with cigarettes,
talked, swallowed gobs of smoke,
sat around, with cigarettes, and
not a thought was given. Now,
these years later, the slightest
whiff of that noxious blue odor
sends me a'frenzy. As with so
many other things. The entire
approach to what we live has
been altered. And that means
disrespect and scoffing too  -
sanctity is long gone. Police,
clergy, teachers, authority,
politics and process have all
been shown to be a tarred and
nicotined hell-hole of their
own, and mostly better not even
to be mentioned  -  let alone
movies and TV and such. The
common currency of everyday
life has changed, at both ends.
In a nearby small city, for some
years I knew of a lady high
school teacher who had two
different kids with two separate
students. it's all blown over now,
everyone's grown and I guess
worked it out, but no one ever
blinked, she was never removed,
it wasn't even talked about
seriously. You want to wonder
how that could be. I guess I
don't begrudge her liking the
old magic wand, but the least
she could have done was have
a cigarette after sex.
-
Most of the things I ever liked
were solitary things; like when I
went to Camp Cowaw, the Boy
Scout Camp up in Latham, at the
PA border, up above the Delaware
River. It was pretty cool, lean-to's,
sleeping outdoors, oddball camp
counselors and open air showers
and all, (secluded though). We
went up there with Mr. Hill, our
scoutmaster. He had a Ford
Country Squire station wagon,
early on, and he fit 5 or 6 of
us in it for the trip up and
back, after the 7-days of camping.
When we got up there, there was
a large, black bird, dead as ever,
stuck into the front grill. That
was pretty weird, like an awful
omen of something. He pulled
it out and we never mentioned
it. The only hang-up with Cowaw
(it means 'Tall Pines' or somesuch
in some local Indian tongue from
the woods up there, Ramapos
or Leni Lenapes, like anyone
really cared. Basically, we'd
already impaled all of them on
our metaphorical national grill,
and grilled them too)  -  the
only hang-up to Cowaw was
that they had what they called
a 'Buddy-System.' It was plain
lousy, and almost creepy. You
had to pick someone, reciprocally
I guess, because they had to pick
you too, somehow. (I never
thought of that). And  -  for the
week, or until you ended up
hating each other  -  you always
had to be in their company. You
couldn't do anything alone  -  it
was a safety precaution, for not
drowning, or falling off a cliff,
or getting lost in the deep woods.
No one ever mentioned bears and
stuff, but in the late 1950's a lot
of those wild-animal and natural
critter things had been wiped out,
with DDT or hunting and stuff.
Nature was pretty quiet in those
days. But, no matter, you had to have
someone hanging around with you
all the time. I hated that. As I recall,
my kid was Bobby Hill  -  Mr. Hill,
the Scoutmaster's son. He was OK,
in that we were both kind of aloof
and quiet. It was mostly for swimming
anyway. The only way out of it was,
and I took advantage of this, to sign
in for 'Merit Badge' courses, which
you went to alone. I did archery.
In case I had to kill one of those
Injun guys who snuck through their
genetic decimation; and I also did what
was called 'Long Distance Running.'
That was even greater, because, while
running, you're on your own. They
had marked out a long, cool, one-mile
straightaway, paved as roadway, that
we ran along for our 'miler.' There
were very few cars up that way at all,
and you'd see 'em coming a long way
off. I'd run that thing, over and over,
some days three or four circuits. A
mile is cool  -  we had Roger Bannister's
recent 4-minute mile famous world
record to run against. Except our mile
took like 9 or 10 minutes. I forget
actually, but it wasn't close. The
thing I like was how, at a certain
point of surge, a zen-like thing, the
'mile' disappeared. It wasn't long,
nor was t short. It just was; it was
a mere idea we toyed with while
our heads ran. Solitary things
like that are always my favorite.
Different for sure  -  there was
an early 1960's movie, maybe
even late 50's, a British film,
I really liked : 'The Loneliness
Of the Long Distance Runner.'
It was great stuff, and all sorts
of things cultural, political,
sexual, and running too, were
mixed up altogether in it. That
was kind of my imagistic ideal;
but of course I never told anyone,
mostly because I never had anyone
to talk to about really cool stuff.
-
Come to think of it, that high school
lady porking her students, or getting
porked, or however that phrasing
goes, would have fit right on to
the ideas and feelings of that plot.
Besides running, there was a lot
of other stuff in it. I don't recall
any special music or anything,
but it wasn't until later anyway
that 'music'  -  or memorable
music anyway  -  began showing
up as important parts of a film  -
things to be remembered.
-
So, anyway, so much for all that.
At least I never heard of any
extra-curricular stuff going on
in the local schools around
Avenel, but it's not like it would
have been a headline in the local
paper. Hush-hush is, after all,
hush-hush. The local paper back
then was still called the Perth Amboy
Evening News. Only years later
when conglomerates started buying
around did it become, after changing
hands like three times, one of those
crummy Gannett Papers, and it's now
called the Home News, which was
a scratchy, nothing paper from East
Brunswick, for years. Same drivel
but different ownership. All worth
nothing. After a while, locally, the
'Perth Amboy' part of the name
got dropped (as Perth Amboy
deteriorated) and it was just The
Evening News. I used to get
involved doing a lot of their
printing too, when they were
owned by one John Burke, of
the Burke family, but the they all
disappeared after selling out too. You 
know how newspapers used to be
delivered by 'paper-boys'  -  a 
bunch pf 12-year olds, with
bicycle routes, flinging papers
onto front lawns everywhere?
One time we were at a luncheon
the Home News threw, to show off
all their new, expensive equipment,
in their new building. We'd  been
invited, a few of us, because we
had their printing account, as I
mentioned. So this John Burke
guy is going on and on about all his
new investment and equipment, and 
he asks if there were any questions 
from the floor. My boss, the owner of 
the printing company I worked for  -  a
real hard-assed dollars and cents guy,
he was half-outraged over the idea of 
all this new equipment and its product
and output being placed into the hands 
of 12 year old kids, to screw it up on 
delivery of the product  -  which is all 
customers really got to see and cared 
about anyway. So, he stood up, and said, 
in essence, 'So John, this is all very nice  -  
and expensive  -  but tell me, really, 
you're putting all this into the hands 
of 12 year old kids?' It was funny, but 
serious and stern too. Maybe it makes 
some weird sort of businessman sense.
The cool thing was, I used to print
 their cards 'Photographer On
Assignment For The Home
News.' They were called 
'lanyards'  -  that's the official
name for the tags and passes and
stuff you hang around your neck. 
Anyway, I always made sure 
I'd take a few. Those things
falsely got me into plenty of
events  -  having nothing to 
do with the News Tribune. It
was all false, and I even used 
it after that name was dead
and gone. All I needed was
to walk around with a camera,
which I mostly did anyway. It was,
I always felt, a real 'Avenel' thing
to do  -  sort of an in-your-face
challenge to authority. Like
'Go ahead, find me out,
I dare you.'





No comments: