Wednesday, July 18, 2018

10,987. WHEN I GET NERVOUS TO CRY

WHEN I GET NERVOUS TO CRY
I've probably got a hundred
stores to tell you and all of them 
true, or a hundred more than I've
told you already and most of them,
too, adhering to truth. We can stay
in place, right here, if you bring out
the lantern and I'll light it, before
I start choking again; that damn
fire makes it hard to breath. When
this happens, I was told, perversely
I thought, by some quack doctor
probably trying to kill me, to eat 
peanut butter by the spoonful,
'just stuff it down your throat,' he
said, 'until you hate it. The cough
will be gone before you know it.'
Well, as much as it went it sort of
works, but I always get distracted
anyway  -  either by the very cough
I'm trying to shake, or by the sweat
all that coughing makes.  Can you
imagine doing all that medical school
stuff, and after all that only coming
up with peanut butter for a remedy?
One time I just walked away, saying
to him that maybe I needed a doctor 
but he needed a shrink and didn't he
know of any? He sat me back down
and we shared a glass or two of some
raw red wine from France together.
Good stuff, really rippled my throat,
and that was the last time I saw him,
(I don't like to gloat).

No comments: