Thursday, September 17, 2015

7170. I CAN'T HESITATE FOR THE RUSHING

I CAN'T HESITATE 
FOR THE RUSHING
'Jane will not have friends. Jane will have husbands,
enemies, and lawyers. I hope you're enjoying your
childhood. When you grow up, a shadow falls.
Everything's sunny and then this big goddamn
wing or something passes overhead.' He was
telling this to his daughter Jane's boyfriend -  
not the cheeriest Dad to have to meet. It's from
some book by Joy Williams, and it sounded too
curious for me. In that same book, I remember
someone else says, 'Honey, no offense, but I
could shoot you and watch you kick.' Well,
anyway. Let's move on. It was that kind of a
sunny day  -  when you can take a shower and
then just sit outside drying off, knowing you'll
not sweat again immediately. Very best kind. 
Yeah, I do a lot of reading now, but I do
more writing than that too.

No comments: