Friday, March 20, 2015

6496. THE FIELDS ARE NEVER FALLOW

THE FIELDS ARE
NEVER FALLOW
When the weasel comes to the fenceline any farmer 
worth his salt knows it's already too late. Grab 
the pitchfork, and run to the haymow. Now!
Only the great goddess Ceres really knows my
name  -  her daughter Prosperina and I have come
to terms. I loved her mother, and then I loved her.
-
The fields are never fallow  -  things are growing 
and we have to count yields for the stupid Emperor.
His men come by with staves and pitchforks to oversee
our loads  -  jerks, oafs and overseers, all as one.
-
I pledge allegiance to no one, and they seem to know 
this. I tell them, centuries hence, a land will come 
where men can live freely, do as they wish, prosper 
for themselves and exist like their own Gods. They 
scoff. They scoff and say there will always be rulers 
and emperors, the rulers and emperors will never 
let go but will just change their tactics.

No comments: