Monday, March 31, 2014

5215. POSTAGE STAMP BOX ART

POSTAGE STAMP BOX ART
(11th street)
Here I am next to Webster Hall, standing
by a post office which sells DaVinci postage
stamps in blocks of sixty or so : as I think it
anyway. The fury still resounds of music hall
laughter and all those old political signs  -  knots 
of people acting as one to react and provoke. The
labor leaders now of a world long gone dead.
-
For me. For me. Inside the Post Office it is today's
fat world, and I watch them lining up  -  their struggling
packages and mistaken letters and forms. Slovak, Italian,
East European, Hispanic, Black, and Indigent all together.
Your tired and hungry and poor defectives abound : and
then the hip, once. Patent leather. Gay glasses and Izod
limbs and livers. 'The Virgin and Child With St. Anne
and St. John the Baptist' is now being sold at Window
12. A boatload of wanderlust to the traveling servants
of St. Dread. Boat to port. Reel to real.
-
Outside  -  still slathered with my pain, the crazy neon
sign of Gotham Billiards yet punctuates the time across
the street from Webster Hall; while wise-ass kids pass
the time eating donuts, and mothers and grandmas roll
something on wheels by windows; windows and shops
all in a row. Everything aligned, everywhere I go. 
DaVinci postage stamps, for sale and Window 12.

No comments: