Sunday, March 9, 2014

5153. CHEAP FOUNDATIONS

CHEAP FOUNDATIONS
The house will fall, eventually, it will crumble upon itself  - 
you can be sure of that; as sure as anything else. Chimneys
have been known to drop faster than bodies thrown from
airplanes on high. The stories I've heard, various tales of
wartime intrique, has that rate as fast as 30 feet a second.
'He's never returned, missing in action and all that. All we
recovered was his flak-jacket.'
-
I've got nothing left in my hands holding water, nothing
more to take to the fair. Carpenter ants and their kin can
outstrip my meandering ways. I've seen kestrels run for
shelter better than I've walked along this path. Like a
bunch of drunks watching the President talk on some
barroom TV, nothing that's said can be right; every
word is belittled and mocked.
-
They put up a horse fence along the meadow road  -  
the kind you can jump over or sneak through. What's
the use of fencing if it fences nothing out? Or in?
Grand motivations, lots of money to pay, and an
'A' for effort, I suppose, at the grange.
-
My last  romance took place in a bucket.
I was taken with everything  -  in those days  -
I came across : saddle me up something, I want
to ride. Please saddle me up a brand new horse.

No comments: