Sunday, March 23, 2014

5205. DELIVER THE LETTER THE SOONER THE BETTER

DELIVER THE LETTER 
THE SOONER THE BETTER
Old men were sitting around. I swear I saw Elvis too.
And a John Lennon type waltzed in with a Bo Diddley beat.
Johhny B. Goode was standing in the shadows. I discerned
nothing but little that was good. Spotswood and Jamesburg.
That's where I'll be going. (There's a big book in the corner,
filled with names and faces too, and everyone always smiles).
-
This building is made of sugar, and that one has a candy-cane
spine. Three steps up, the Grange Hall of Robert Bly is opened
wide while all tractors, left running, are singing. No one watches
but I do, warily. The single black cat of Esther Ray is on  hold.
It too is awake with its one blind eye. Old men, sitting around.

No comments: