Sunday, March 23, 2014

5206. DANGLING DIAMOND EARRING

DANGLING DIAMOND EARRING
Even here, in Forest Hill, Newark, I am afraid of nothing;
no danger lurks worth reporting, and I am kept with a
figment of a God. Your dangling diamond earring, that
too, means nothing now. Silks and stockings, glittering hats,
all those hipster cats at the Barclay Lounge, try shunting
all of that aside. The black guys with their funny Cadillacs
and overdone girlfriends for the night; jive talk, funny walk.
I am here in camouflage; I am a sketchbook for my heart.
In a row, some fifteen buildings glitter cheaply  -  neon-lit
and bar-room lights where people hang, half in-half out.
Music too loud to be good trounces the air and the silence
with moments of trenchant portrayal while another deal
for flesh or sin is finalized. In a hurry, everyone moves
so slowly as to be seen. No digression tolerated.
Yet I am not afraid. Not money, not glitter, not
your dangling diamond earring will take this
night away  -  no man can stand up to the
power of me. That bootstrap is a gutter 
by which I'm lifted up. I'm richer than
the rest, in a thousand different ways.

No comments: