Thursday, March 6, 2014

5139. I HAVE CRAZY FEET

I HAVE CRAZY FEET
Leave me off one moment, let me wallow free,
let my happy fissures seep with glee. My crazy feet
are calling me. I will thwart and run my self to off
the wayward fen  -  walking hard and wild will I be. 
-
As Wordsworth put it : 'my heart leaps up when I
behold a rainbow in the sky: so was it when my life
began; so is it now I am a man.' It goes on, but
that still works  -  and why  not would it? Once I
was five now I am sixty and five and more  -  what
shades pass for night now bequeath me no living;
and it all must be done on its own.
-
The thrush in the treetop, the winnowing bird, it
whispers 'over, friend, over', and then swirls away.
Would that I could be what they are always : wild
distant, running, busy, free. I do have crazy feet.

No comments: