Thursday, March 6, 2014

5141. BY DINT OF SAVING

BY DINT OF SAVING
By dint of saving I reached salvation although I never
knew why. The streets I lived were in my blood; 
things like fourth floor walkups and open lofts,
17th street fires and barrels where the old men
huddled in rags  -  watching flames split the difference,
watching fires singe their clothes. There never was a 
song in any singer's mouth I wished to hear. The cart-man,
last one left, still had his chestnut horse and he sauntered
down the street when he chose to go. My God, it was
a different world  -  and so long ago. 'I travelled through
a land of men and women too, and heard and saw such
dreadful things as cold earth wandered never knew.'
William Blake to Howard Hawkes to Marianne Moore
herself : 'Durer would have seen a reason for living in 
a town like this...'
-
By dint of a saving grace I'd been saved by Life, and 
staying on I stayed  -  the last remaining template for 
something passing. Now the selfsame streets wherein I
muscled men are quaint professional gaslights and 
high-fashioned ladies and gents. Just goes to show, I'd 
guess, what's missing when everyone thinks they're in.
One form or another, the trace of this life is all of a
whimsical, passing, charcoal sketch. I am saved
by Salvation and all the rest....Durer would have
seen a reason for living in a town like this.

No comments: